First Brew mistake-Cooper's Canadian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbeavers

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post. I did read the stickies and beginner's guide but have a few questions.

I just bought my first Cooper's Canadian Blonde beginners kit and started my first batch a few days ago. I made a few little mistakes which I hope don't ruin my batch completely.

While boiling the water, I added my Cooper's malt early and let it boil for 20 minutes with the hops. I read after that I was supposed to add it afterwards and let it stand for 20 minutes. Will the intense heat affect the malt?

Also, I am having a problem keeping the temp down. I live in a tropical country (33 degrees all year around) and have the air con blasting in the room but the temp still says 24 degrees. Is this okay?

Any advice is much appreciated!

I would say that you are fine with boiling it. I'm pretty sure most kits tell you to boil the malt extract anyway. One way or another I don't think it will matter.

24 degrees is pretty warm for fermentation. You will get better results with a lower temperature depending on what type of yeast you use. An ale yeast, most likely the yeast you are using, would benefit from being around 18 degrees. 6 degrees doesn't seem like a lot but it will make a difference.

If you really get into making beer then I would suggest getting a refrigerator and fermenting in there. (I might have to do this as well once we get into the middle of summer)

Okay, thanks for the help. Some more newbie questions. I rushed home to see my beer today (it's like having a baby). Still haven't seen these "bubbles" that everyone talks about. I do see a lot of froth on the top. I got nervous and took a reading with my hydrometer and it said 1.028! So something is working! It's only been a little less than 3 days!

Also, the temp is lower today at 22 degrees. Wish I had of bought a cooler thing (probably would have been cheaper than running air con all day and night).

So maybe the air is escaping somewhere?? How often do you see these bubbles? I am beginning to think they are a myth...

I am planning on adding some more hops on the 5th day and hopefully by the 10th I can bottle. I'm worried that it might not be done fermenting and I'm leaving on a trip for a week after the 10th day. Any advice on that??

Being in primary for 12 days was good for my Coopers OS lager to brew. Seeing as how it used an ale yeast,it's really a pale ale. Malt-forward English style at that. But this time I added Munton's plain extra light DME,& no sugar,with a 15 min hop addition. also,NEVER boil pre-hopped malt! It darkens the beer (caramelizes some),& drives off some of the hop qualities already in it.
Anyway,it took a full 3 weeks to reach FG & clean up after itself. Plus 1 week dry hop. So don't worry,it'll be better by the time you come back.
Just keep those temps down while you're away. It'll be better tasting (though green),& a lot clearer for priming & bottling/kegging. It's always good to let it sit on the yeast for a while to clean up & clear more. I get very little settlings in my bottles that way. And I'm talking a very small "pinch" here.

Latest posts

Back