First brew in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanta

Reaction score
Decided to start my first brew today. Sanitized everything, plus filled a spray bottle with star san and boiled 3-4 gallons of water with a campden tablet (also pre bolied another 4 gallons for top off water with another campden tablet), then added 3 lbs of pale LME and a package (1 oz, I believe) of US Brewer's Gold pellets. 55 min later, I added the other 4 lbs of pale LME, a whirlfloc tablet, and 1 oz of lemongrass, boiling for another 5 minutes.

Cooled the hot wort with an immersion chiller (forgot to submerge it during the boil so I sprayed the heck out of it with star san, and I had already scrubbed it clean with everything else before the boil). Got it down to around 80F then aerated by pouring back and forth between the fermentation bucket and the bottling bucket. Once I ran out of room (about 6 pours) for additional foam in the buckets, I took a gravity sample, which came out to 1.046 (recipe OG was 1.040, although it called for 5 lbs pale LME and 1 lb of corn syrup, not sure if that matters) and pitched 2 vials of WLP-029 and set the fermenter into my freezer temp controlled to 68F and I am sure the airlock will start bubbling away in the next couple of days or so (didn't have any tubing of appropriate diameter to rig a blowoff tube up). I guess I will check for completed fermentation in around 10 days or so, recipe says 1.011 so I hope I hit around there

update: after 18ish hours (about when I woke up) the airlock was bubbling merrily away...starsan foam all over the lid. I will keep an eye to make sure the starsan in the airlock doesn't all become bubbles on the fermenter lid and top off if necessary. Been bubbing all day, constant trickle of bubbles with random pauses almost lasting one second. Tried to discern a pattern, but I think I will end up going nuts if I try to find a pattern in that XD

Sounds like you're on the way to an awesome brew!

Check your gravity after about 2 weeks and if it's at target then wat 2 days and check again. If it's the same then you are free to bottle and/or keg. Otherwise, let it keep going for another few days. Patience is a virtue and that first beer is always the worst!

Question: I know that there is no real need for racking to secondary, although I have this plastic 5 gal carboy that came with the AHS deluxe kit. What is the ideal time to rack to secondary on this blonde ale? After fermentation is complete by 3 days of consistent gravity readings, or slightly before I reach estimated FG while there is still some fermentation to go? I am guessing either way I still have a week or so to go before I rack to secondary, it's been sitting in my chest freezer at 68F with the probe covered with a folded dishtowel taped to the side of the bucket since Wednesday afternoon...1-2-3 is what I've seen suggested on these boards, but is there any gravity reading to go with that? I just want to ensure my beer tastes as good as possible (looking as clear as possible would be great too)

Question: I know that there is no real need for racking to secondary, although I have this plastic 5 gal carboy that came with the AHS deluxe kit. What is the ideal time to rack to secondary on this blonde ale? After fermentation is complete by 3 days of consistent gravity readings?

After fermentation is complete by 3 days of consistent gravity readings! :mug:

Back