First brew help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djnkro

Reaction score
Hello.

I am in the process of doing my first brew. I plan on making a good wheat beer. Now I know most of you wont like it, but I am using a coopers kit for my first time. After that I plan on going with just a malt extract.

My question is this. I got a dry malt extract to add to the brew. a good bavarian weizen. how much of this should I add to my wort? and at what stage?

thanks

Eddie :mug:

what is your recipe? that would help out with an answer. anytime you add dme to your wort, do it at the beginning when you add your lme. adding any dme to your recipe will change the profile of your beer, though.

loop

Hello and welcome to the forums! Nothing wrong with starting out with a kit, most folks probably have.

As for the DME, did it come premeasured with the kit or is this a seperate addition? Normally DME is added once your water reaches boiling.

Hello.

The kit i got was a pre hopped malt extract from coopers. a can and a packet of yeast. thats it.

I got the dme as an add on, but when reading the instructions it said to mix the can with and sugars with 2 liters of boiling water. then add the wort to 20 liters of water in the fermenter and mix. trying for a temp of 70-80f.

take a S.G reading, and add the yeast.

so I am assuming i add the DME when I add the sugar. but my question is how much DME do i add?

Are you adding the DME instead of the sugar? That's what I would do......

What is the recipe? That is, how much sugar does the recipe call for, and how much DME do you have?

Hello.

If you have never got a coopers kit. DONT!

The stupid thing did NOT come with sugar, or DME. The instructions do NOT say how much sugar to add.

It says recommended ingredients. wort concentrate "the can" yeast satchet, 500g light dry malt and 300g sugar.

Mind you thats on their WEBSITE not the stupid instructions. So I take it I use 500g of malt, and 300g of sugar.

Thanks for tryin guys.

Eddie

Wish I could skip the corn sugar. Dont have enough DME, and the brew shop is closed. Oh well, will have to put in a touch of sugar.

Thanks anyhow guys.

I'm somewhat new to brewing myself. I used a Coopers pre-hopped can of extract for my first brew and it was good for going through the motions of brewing and bottling the first time but I never will use the pre-hopped extract kit again. I'm now using the Brewers Best ingredient kits. They include everything you need and the beer is good. Next step for me will be to start doing a partial mash but the kits are a nice stepping stone.

Latest posts

Back