First Brew Fermenting like a mad man and other fun questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppafritz

Reaction score
Hello every one, On Monday this week i started my very first brew a coopers brew kit, hoped malt extract. All went well so far as i can tell and it has been fermenting in the closet for a few days now and i have a few questions.

1. How long does active fermentation take place before i can add my air lock?
2. I do not have a graduated cylinder, what can i use to take my gravity readings with my hydrometer? I took my first gravity reading in the hydrometer case and i don't think it was right.
3. I am doing 1 stage fermentation, how long do i let my beer ferment in the primary before i bottle?

Thank you so much in advance for your help guys.

1. You haven't added an airlock sir?
2. Anything narrow so you dont have to use a lot of brew to get the reading. The case should work actually.... but grab a cylinder at the LHBS.
3. At least 2 weeks. 4 would be better, but hey, its your first brew ;)

Hello every one, On Monday this week i started my very first brew a coopers brew kit, hoped malt extract. All went well so far as i can tell and it has been fermenting in the closet for a few days now and i have a few questions.

1. How long does active fermentation take place before i can add my air lock?
2. I do not have a graduated cylinder, what can i use to take my gravity readings with my hydrometer? I took my first gravity reading in the hydrometer case and i don't think it was right.
3. I am doing 1 stage fermentation, how long do i let my beer ferment in the primary before i bottle?

Thank you so much in advance for your help guys.

1. Depends on the amount of available sugars and quantity and health of the yeast. But you should have your airlock as soon as you put it in the fermenter.
2. If its a bucket just sanitize the Hydrometer and take it right in the bucket.
3. Leave it alone in the primary for at least three weeks and then straight to the bottling bucket.

Congratulations on your first Brew!

Well when i say air lock, i am talking about the small one that you add a little bit of water into, i have it set up right now with a tube running into a jar of water (air lock) and the foam and bubbles are making a huge mess :D

This is what i have set up right now, i changed my cup out for a bigger one but it filled up, also i have lost what seems to me about 20 to 30 oz. of liquid so far.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/so-much-blow-off-58818.html

Change those cups for a milk jug. Cut the top off and add your StarSan/water.

Usually after 2-4 days fermentation will slow enough to replace your blow-off with your airlock.

Well when i say air lock, i am talking about the small one that you add a little bit of water into, i have it set up right now with a tube running into a jar of water (air lock) and the foam and bubbles are making a huge mess :D

This is what i have set up right now, i changed my cup out for a bigger one but it filled up, also i have lost what seems to me about 20 to 30 oz. of liquid so far.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/so-much-blow-off-58818.html

You've got a great fermentation going! Personally, I would add the airlock after your blow-off tube stops making a mess. If you add it now the krausen is going to gum up your airlock.

I also usually leave a lot more space for fermentation, maybe another 2-4 inches in the carboy, but I might be a little more paranoid since I've had some spectacular blow-ups from belgian yeasts..

Oh, that fermentation looks lovely! After 48-72 hours, the vigorous bubbling should quiet down. Then, replace the blow-off with an airlock.

glenn514:mug:

Thanks so much guys, i switch out to a much bigger jar that is not bubbling out now, It has slowed down a lot and i should be able to switch to the air lock soon, btw it smells great and i cant wait to try it.

Right now all i have is a 5 gal carboy, on my next brew i am going to be buying a 6 gal Glass carboy for primary and a handful of other equipment that i need.

Back