First Brew ever! need some help and opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
So I got bored this weekend and instead of waiting for my kolsch kit from midwest supply I went down to the local home brew shop which in this small town is not that great and the owner and I scrounged up ingredients for a beer. We grabbed the clone beers book and found a recipe for a paulaner heffe-weizen. He didnt have any munch or german wheat yeast as was recommended so we used the american wht yeast instead. Anyone have an opinion as to how this will affect the beer?

Also in my excitement, inexperience and because I was running late I pitched my yeast when my wort was about 100 degrees. It is bubbling fine, but will the hot pitch affect the flavor outcome?

Lastly and MOST IMPORTANTLY! the recipe call for priming with 1 1/4 cups DME. Ok im no expert, but when i put the DME in the water, it clumped up and had to boil out of the clumps. How on earth am I going to get the DME into the fermented beer before bottling w/o it clumping or aerating my beer to death by mixing the DME in???????? Help!

If I remember correctly, the american wheat yeast is has less banana and clove character compared to the german, so I think it will still taste great, but might not have that heavy banana or clove flavor that I sometimes associate with the german hefe yeast.

I'm sure you probably killed some yeast or at least put them through some thermal shock pitching at 100 degrees. The only way to find out is to let the beer finish and try it.

When preparing your priming sugary using DME, you should boil it. Then pour that into your bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of that. The act of racking should mix it throughly enough.

Hope this helps.

No idea on how the beer will taste but in regards to the priming sugar....you want to boil 1-2 cups of water, remove from heat, mix in priming sugar, and let cool to room temp. Then, you add it to your bottling bucket and rack your beer on top of it. Gently mix with a spoon after racking the beer to ensure and even mixture.

No, I have not primed yet, But it sounds like Daybis has the answer. Is it common to prime with DME and not sugar?

I would say it's more common to carb with priming sugar, but some people do use DME.

i use DME for priming. i add it to very hot water to make 500ml, i then bring it to a quick boil. then i add 400ml to the bottling bucket and rack the beer in. then based on the vol of beer i have in the bucket, i add some or all of the rest of the priming solution. (100ml/per gal of beer) i find DME gives a better carb, a nicer head and an all round more complete tasting beer.
as far as the yeast, the american wheat yeast will be cleaner that the german. you won't get the banana/clove thing like you do in a hefe.

That yeast makes me think it'll taste more like Franziskaner weissbier. It has a clean sort of organic sweetness to it that's really good. I don't personally like a lot of that banana candy ester. That flavor just makes me think of the old Brach's banana marshmallow candies we used to like as kids.

If it tastes anything like Franziskaner I will be doing back flips! It is one of my favorite beers

That yeast makes me think it'll taste more like Franziskaner weissbier. It has a clean sort of organic sweetness to it that's really good. I don't personally like a lot of that banana candy ester. That flavor just makes me think of the old Brach's banana marshmallow candies we used to like as kids.

franziskaner is quite banana-y. i doubt you'd get that with an american wheat strain.

If it tastes anything like Franziskaner I will be doing back flips! It is one of my favorite beers

don't hold you're breath. american wheat yeast is much cleaner than the yeast used in franziskaner.

Me too,I love the clean fresh flavor of that beer. Like to find some more. Still got that 750ml of Chimay blue in the fridge. Hopefully tonight. If this beer comes out like Franziskaner,I may just brew a batch myself! Here's hopin man!!

Me too,I love the clean fresh flavor of that beer. Like to find some more. Still got that 750ml of Chimay blue in the fridge. Hopefully tonight. If this beer comes out like Franziskaner,I may just brew a batch myself! Here's hopin man!!

not to harp on it, american wheat yeast won't produce anything like a Fraziskaner type hefe. it's far too clean.... think more like Boulevard Wheat or 312, not a german type Hefe. you would need a german or other european wheat strain to get the banana/clove thing you get in those beers.

When it comes to wheat beers, would by beer benefit from the addition of a clearing agent or cold crashing? Or should it be left hazy since its a wheat?

oh another question and Im sorry for all the noob questions, but how do I know if I reached my hot break or cold break?

not to harp on it, american wheat yeast won't produce anything like a Fraziskaner type hefe. it's far too clean.... think more like Boulevard Wheat or 312, not a german type Hefe. you would need a german or other european wheat strain to get the banana/clove thing you get in those beers.

I've had a few German hefe's,but the Franziskaner weissbier had none of the usual estery flavors that I could detect,particularly in the last 6'r we drank,even as it warmed a little. Very clean for a German wheat. So it's def not the usual flavors ime.

I've had a few German hefe's,but the Franziskaner weissbier had none of the usual estery flavors that I could detect,particularly in the last 6'r we drank,even as it warmed a little. Very clean for a German wheat. So it's def not the usual flavors ime.

no doubt it's a clean beer, style considered. but i get some real nice banana from Franziskaner. mind you i haven't had one since last summer, but i drink a lot of that beer when it's hot out.

I just don't get it. My wife had one bottle where she tasted a little of it,but I just don't taste all that banana flavor so prevelent in other wheat beers. Just clean wheat flavor,not like the SN one that had a tun of it.

oh another question and Im sorry for all the noob questions, but how do I know if I reached my hot break or cold break?

you'll know when you hit a hot break. it foams up noticeably, with extract it won't be as dramatic, but it'll happen. in the cold break, you'll see proteins, hops and other material coagulate in the kettle, with AG and PM brews, it'll even clump and form blobs. i have some photo's of a really nice cold break in my gallery, take a look. with extract, you may just see the wort drop clear as it cools.

Hmm doesnt sound like I got much if any of a cold break. What's the result going to be and what can i do to maybe fix or at least minimize the damage.

Also, the beer is giving off a banana/strawberry smelling gas. It's actually quite pleasant. Based on what people here have told me, I am guessing that it is not the typical banana flavor found in German wheat beers, but rather an of flavor created by pitching hot. I'm fermenting cooler than normal now to hopefully off set the hot pitch. Logical or stupid?

I dont know how much it should be bubbling, but i am getting a very steady and consistent 3-5 bubbles per second. I would describe it as paced and controlled.

Since it's at a cooler temp now,it sounds like it's ok. Given time,it'll clean itself up as it settles out sort of misty.

because I didnt have a good if any cold break, is there any thing I can do to help clear it up so its not to hazy?

because I didnt have a good if any cold break, is there any thing I can do to help clear it up so its not to hazy?

it's an extract beer, you're not going to get a cold break like the picture i told you to check out. chances are that beer'll be nice and clear. just give it some extra time after FG is reached before bottling. condition 3 weeks at 70 degrees and chill for about a week before drinking. i do this with all my beers, and they're clear, whether AG, PM or extract.

Back