First Brew Ever (Extract) - Your thoughts please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a gravity reading last night and its now at 1.016. Used the outer tube of my auto siphon as a thief, which was a Pain but worked. I was really careful about sterilizing everything. Now this morning there is evidence of some renewed airlock activity, and the top if the beer looks a little different. The beer tasted good last night, strong but good, but now I'm a little worried about an infection.
View attachment 229075

Those look like yeast 'rafts'. For 1.077 to 1.016, you have a 9-10% beer. I don't have a calculator, so that is a guess. Gonna be hard to have an infection in that high of abv. Check gravity on Tuesday. If still at 1.016, you are ready to bottle.

The yeast rafts that mhurst111 mentioned do not seem to be a problem.

Tested gravity again last night and it had gone down again to 1.015

Will test again tomorrow night before attempting to bottle.

When I tasted the gravity sample, tehre was not enough bitterness to balance the sweetness, which doesnt surprise me much, given my hop addition issues during boil.

I was however surprised by how boozy the beer tasted. Temps never go that high during primary. It is an 8.2% beer, but boy did it taste boozy. Also no hop aroma or flavor to speak of, which may contribute to the boozyness?

The yeast rafts that mhurst111 mentioned do not seem to be a problem.

Tested gravity again last night and it had gone down again to 1.015

Will test again tomorrow night before attempting to bottle.

When I tasted the gravity sample, tehre was not enough bitterness to balance the sweetness, which doesnt surprise me much, given my hop addition issues during boil.

I was however surprised by how boozy the beer tasted. Temps never go that high during primary. It is an 8.2% beer, but boy did it taste boozy. Also no hop aroma or flavor to speak of, which may contribute to the boozyness?

carbonation and time will change the taste

all the best

S_M

Ok homebrewers, first batch is bottled. Bottling system needs lots of tweaking...LOTS, but the next run will go WAY smoother. The tasting today is way different from a few days ago. Maybe because its 2:30am and I'm exhausted, but the boozy ness has subsided significantly, and bitterness has jumped forward, which is nice, because it needs that to balance the sweetness. I know it will change again in the bottle, but it tastes good tonight. Still no hop aroma to speak of, but well see. I put some in 12 oz, some in pints, and one bomber to see if any noticeable differences.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, tips, etc. ill provide a review of the beer when it's ready to drink.

Ok homebrewers, first batch is bottled. Bottling system needs lots of tweaking...LOTS, but the next run will go WAY smoother. The tasting today is way different from a few days ago. Maybe because its 2:30am and I'm exhausted, but the boozy ness has subsided significantly, and bitterness has jumped forward, which is nice, because it needs that to balance the sweetness. I know it will change again in the bottle, but it tastes good tonight. Still no hop aroma to speak of, but well see. I put some in 12 oz, some in pints, and one bomber to see if any noticeable differences.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, tips, etc. ill provide a review of the beer when it's ready to drink.

Yes, let us know how it tastes when it's all carbed up! The carbonation will temper the sweetness as well.

Back