first brew, does this look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubvortex

Reaction score
this is my first brew. american wheat, been in fermenter since friday, smells a liitle like banana. Does it look normal?

kdk0443v.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Yes, stinky foaming yellow-brown goop in a bucket with green flecks is absolutely normal. Let it ferment out and then carb it, let it prime, and apply the following formula to find out if you made beer:

1: Pour some in a glass and look at it
2: If it looks like beer, smell it
3: If it smells like beer, taste it
4: If it tastes like beer, drink it
5: ... drink several more. Eventually you will need to piss and you will stand up.
6: That's when you know.

I generally also take a gravity reading after a week or two (once all the foaming stops). Seeing that the gravity dropped to the target F.G. reasures me. I have only once had it not be that way, and that carboy was at 50* so the yeast crapped out early (too cold).

it looks normal to me... try making it again, and use a swamp cooler, the bananna flavor will subside...

The Banana flavor is a good sign with wheat. When I brewed my first wheat, I was scared that there might of been bacteria in it. However, after I bottled it and let it sit for a couple weeks, it turned out to be great. It looks/sounds like everything is fine.

that's what i'm screaming.... work smarter not harder.....

This can be advantageous if your gut isn't used to taking in a lot of yeast and you insist on drinking more than a couple. At least that's the opinion of my brother after he had 2 of my honey weizens. I told him to leave that last bit in the bottle but did he listen?? NOOO.

Latest posts

Back