First Brew Competition - 2 medals...woot!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediMaster77

Reaction score
Im not bragging by any means...I am just very excited.

I started brewing 2 years ago. I do extract brewing and last week entered my first local competition.

my blond ale took 2nd place in its category and my stout took 3rd in its category.

the competition while local tends to attract people from across the state of Arizona. And while the homebrew competition is supposed to be non-professional, (because this is in conjuction with the brewfest event that goes on for the vendors) some businesses submit brews as homebrewers anyway.

I post this as kind of a thank you to all the people who post here. This has been an excellent resource for me along the road.

im not fooling myself by any stretch, I am still very much in diapers and learning to crawl. but it is nice to know that there are neutral parties out there that think my beer is good.

Thanks for reading and all the posts that have inspired me

Nice, congrats! Sometimes people discount extract brewing thinking they can make better beer if they go all-grain. Too many times I've heard people say things like "I'm a homebrewer, but I just do extract." I love all-grain brewing and I've been doing it for over 10 years, but that doesn't necessarily mean it makes better beer than you can using extract brewing. In fact, if you don't know what you're doing it can mean you have a bigger chance of screwing things up. It's good to hear you helped dispel that myth. Congrats on your medals!

Well said, microbus! I will say though, that since I went PM biab a couple years ago, my AE process has produced better all extract beers. Nothing wrong with a good beer, regardless of the process that made it. Congrats on the medals! That's cool! :rockin::mug::ban:

there is so much to finish exploring with extracts that im not ready to step up to all-grain, not to mention the cost, I enjoy my small operation as it is.

the blond is, 3.3lbs light LME, 2lbs light DME, 1oz cascade pellet hops 7.1%, 1oz citra leaf hops 13.8%, 1pk safale us-05 11.5 grams dryyeast,
I do the boil with 1 gallon of water, 40 min, adding the cascade hops at the start and citra for last 10 min, irish moss also. primary 1 week, 5oz corn sugar and 3 weeks in the bottle. this is a 5 gallon batch

the stout - steep 4oz choc malt + 4oz black malt + 4oz roasted barley + 4oz flaked oats, 6.6lbs dark LME, 1oz Chinook hops, 1oz fuggles hops, same yeast as above. 60 min boil in 2 gallons, Chinook hops all the way, fuggles with 40 min left, primary 10 days, 5oz corn sugar, 3 weeks in the bottle, 5 gallon batch

Congrats! I like all grain because I like to start from scratch but I enjoy my extract beers as much as my all grain. Great job.

Congrats. As a new Brewer / extract Brewer. This is exciting.

Congratulations! I still like to do extract, it's great when it's cold and just want to do something that's not gonna take too much time indoors. Plus it's a good way to test homegrown hops.

Back