First brew a success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
After bottling on Friday, I had a small bottle left over. Thought about tasting it today, and decided to give it a shot. I opened it in the shower, in case it would start to cascade as some undercarbed beers tend to do. Nothing except a crisp pshiit worthy of a commercial brew.

I poured carefully into a small glass and the head was good and puffy. A good two finger. Aroma was good solid oatmeal stout: some coffee, some chocolate, some malt the faintest wiff of hops. No yeast. I was surprised

Took my first sip and I can tell this is going to be gone very fast. Sweet espresso up front wich is then followed by a good mellow bitterness. Not much chocolate, but you can taste the chewy oats. A bit of alcohol in the back, but it doesn't detract as much as warm the body. I was surprised by all the lacing and the lack of yeast taste.

The beer is still undercarbed, but not by much really. 5 weeks (or was it 6?) in the primary really made for a compact yeast cake and even that last small bottle didn't taste yeasty. The red wine flavour that it had before bottling is now gone, wich is sad, maybe it will come back: the beer is still green.

Next beer will be opened in three weeks... minimum.

Festabrew Double Oatmeal Stout, wich is wort in a bag: you just sanitize and pitch the yeast. I felt like a winemaker :ban:

Now I have heard it all! Pouring a beer in the shower! Are you going to drink this beer or chew it? It sounds very good either way. Oatmeal anybeer is my favorite. I am resisting drinking up my toasted oatmeal stout, a new addition to the rotation of beer.

I have opened undercarbed beers before. Some spray foam the minute you crack the seal: better safe than sorry !

Back