First Bottle Bombs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
After well over a dozen batches I finally had some bottle bombs... Used coopers carb drops in the recommended dosage. These were the left over beer from filling the keg so that might be part of the problem... Any suggestions when bottling the remnants of the beer after kegging? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421438080.963615.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421438103.402683.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421438114.391835.jpg

Of note, they have been in the plastic bins in the basement for over 3 weeks. Temps around 60-62 over that time. So glad I always bottle and store in these bins until ready to drink!

The only thing that I can think of is:
1 - fermentation wasn't entirely complete, so there was potential for more CO2 to be produced that you were expecting from the carbonation drops. Or,
2 - Some problem with the bottles - maybe they had just been weakened or stressed over time.

Possibly, this beer didn't finish too well (1.019 I think) so I am sure it had some issues. It was a Caribou Slobber Clone BIAB. I bottled this and a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone the same night and those are still intact (for now) they have been moved to a colder location and will be popped tonight to test one (body armor required!) These were the remnants of 5 gallon batches that I kegged so I am not sure if I FUBAR'd that up (tried to be careful and was very good about sanitizing. FWIW the beer in the keg is delicious!

I had one 3 weeks ago or so on a stout I did.. It was one of two 12 oz bottles I used and was only about 4 or 5 days in carbing. I think it was weak bottle because when I opened the 12 oz it had some carbing but nothing crazy. I now have a couple plastic bins to store the conditioning bottles in until I move them to my garage.

The only thing that I can think of is:
1 - fermentation wasn't entirely complete, so there was potential for more CO2 to be produced that you were expecting from the carbonation drops. Or,

+1 to this. I had bombs once and have unscientifically concluded this was the source of my problem too.

FG was supposed to be 1.012 I think but never reached it after 3 weeks with multiple attempts to get it lower. Thinking the bottles may have been the issue more than anything but I will verify when I crack open one of the others in a bit. Pic of the lid, which wasn't on tight (at least when I found the destruction)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421447765.248447.jpg

Back