First Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulation

Reaction score
So, after 4+ years of brewing.. I have had my first bottle bomb.. Brewed a batch of oatmeal pumpkin stout (great beer :mug:).. Well kegged 3 gallons in my itty bitty corny keg i just got, bottled the rest (i primed all of it together with 4 oz brown sugar). It was my first time priming with brown sugar i didnt have anything else around.

killed the keg on thanksgiving. Came home today to find shards of glass all over my closet. :rockin:

Really glad i have one of those 7 cu ft. ge freezers and 3 perlicks etc waiting for me to put together my first keezer woot woot.

Dang. Sorry. :(

According to my calculations, you should have been fine. Are you looking for troubleshooting help?

How long did you let it stay in primary?
Are you certain it finished fermentation? (Hydrometer readings?)
How many times did you re-use that bottle?
Did you get a good mix of the priming sugar?
Did you keg first and then bottle the rest after? (Sugar can settle to the bottom.)
Have you opened the other bottles, and they were overcarbonated? (Too foam-y?)

I opened other bottles a few days ago and they were perfect even alittle undercarbed that's the thing. I put all the rest in the fridge immediately just to be safe.

I think it was just a weak bottle maybe used too many times.

I think it was just a weak bottle maybe used too many times.

Most likely. I've had 3 bottle bombs in maybe 2000+ bottles. 2 of the bombs were from the same batch that placed 2nd in a comp, so it wasn't a flawed batch.

Either the bottles were weak or there was a local infection in those bottles.

I opened other bottles a few days ago and they were perfect even alittle undercarbed that's the thing.

Maybe your priming sugar was uneven, then.

I didn't think about infection! That could have been it as well. Did the beer smell bad when you were cleaning it up?

Welcome to the club....The Bottle Bomb Club!

I think most brewers are members. I had some back in 1987 and I was out of town when it happened, so SWMBO was not too happy at cleaning up the broken glass and mopping up the brew.

Nope smelled like heaven. All the spice in this beer smell so good, drank a few more last night.. None were over carbed

Nope smelled like heaven. All the spice in this beer smell so good, drank a few more last night.. None were over carbed

what was your FG? Lately i have been wondering what FG produces bottle bombs, I have not had any yet(knocking on wooden table)But i have a RIS in secondary stuck at 1.038. I would rather not join that excusive club if I can help it, but o want to get this in the bottle.

I bet it was infected. And the pumpkin overwhelmed the aroma from the infection.

Back