First BIAB recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelon83

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doind small smash beers for a bit until I get my system dialed in, what says the hive about this one? These are 2013 hops btw.

Vienna/Amarillo Smash
American IPA (14 B)
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Equipment: 20g E-biab
Efficiency: 72.00 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Vienna Malt (Great Western) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 2 31.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 28.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 65.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 124.8 IBUs
Est Color: 5.7 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Looks very interesting.

You will definitely get a malty backbone with 100% vienna, but I can't see why that wouldn't work.

If I was to brew this though, I would up the grain bill a bit. I think 4.7% is a bit low for an IPA, but i see that you're aiming for small smash'es, so for that purpose, I think you're good :)

This will be a good, light and dry IPA with those delicous Amarillo flavours.
Let us know how it turns out! :)

Dude that looks like an awesome smash! Only advice i have would be to do a 30 min hopstabd at flameout for max amarillo hopiness. And mash a bit low since vienna will give a nice malty body

I'm no recipe guru, but I think you will need more malt backbone to balance the amount of hops you have planned, perhaps a low caliber Crystal malt (40 or lower).

Again, not a lot of other malts, say no more then a pound or pound and a half at max for the Crystal given your 12 lbs. base, maybe some Victory or Biscute...

I'm sorry if you stared you wanted a SMASH (can't recall) - if doing a SMASH I'd dial back the hops to 6-8 oz...

Best of luck and let us know how it works out for you...

Cool, thx all I'm planning on pitching a wlp001 starter or s-04 packet, I'll post the results. Again, thx for the advice, yall rock!!!

I'd go with us05/wlp001 over s04. The Chico strain is awesome for smash recipes to showcase the malt and hop. Plus its great for ipas due to the high attenuation and clean flavor. you've got a pretty nice smash IPA thing going with this

I'm probably late on this, but if I were you, I'd plan on a higher efficiency than 72%. I don't do anything special, and I routinely average in the low 80s.

Good luck! BIAB is a blast!

Your not. Need to tweak the grain mill yet. Fingers crossed, I'm brewing Monday.

Thanks for the help all, I appreciate the noob cradling.

Oh I think I see, it'll be 1.35qt/p for 60 @ 152. Does that sound feasible?

It's a smash so I can do more grain or less hops or change the mash temp, or ditch the smash and add crystal 40.

Probably recirc during as well.

Groovy. I was asking because I just did a 7% IPA with a good dose of late Amarillo hops, but I did a two stage mash, 35mins at 63c and 35mins at 68c and really like the result. That's a long way of saying, mash temp is a fun variable in your smash that will affect the result and your efficiency. Since you're dialing in, make sure you are consistent on the temp :)

Mistakes I made:

Mashed in at 167, left my controller on and set for that point. So I mashed between 167-156 for the first 10m or so.

Grain mill sucked. I checked the spent grist and there where plenty of whole kernals.

OG= 1.063
FG= 1.018

No way to cool the wort, it sat in the pot until it hit 120 then went into a BMB and into the ferm fridge until ready for pitching. This totally FUBARed the hop schedule. I did dry hop for 4 days before kegging.

The result, not bad. It's kinda muddy flavor wise. Not that it tastes like mud HA, just neither the grain or the hops jump out. The first few pulls had an annoying back of the throat biting lingering bitterness, that has mellowed. There is definitly some residual sweetness, which I'm attributing the tase of veinna, it's very subtle and is well balanced by the hops. It's got head for days and strong lacing.

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about, I mean I know I'll drink it, but you may hate it.

fr_200.jpg

It looks like you made beer even with a couple mistakes. Now you know how to improve the next batch. :mug:

Your temperature definitely was to high when you doughed in. I usually start with 160 to 161 to get the mash at 157.

Give your beer a little more time and see if the flavors don't change. It will take longer for that to happen cold than warm in my experience.

Back