first BIAB modified smash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
First, alittle background, I received a craftabrew kit for christmas last yea and brewed an American pale ale and an orange ale (extract kits from craftabrew) I have been making the transition to all grain 5 gal batches....I have the original 3 gal kettle, 30qt pot, thief, hydrometer, auto siphon, 6 gal better bottle, gram scale, tubing, etc just need a mash tun...well I gathered most of the 5 gal stuff at lhbs today and I was researching smash recipes

I came across this http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/41168/citra-smash and so I decided since I didn't have a mash tun and was short on cash I'd try to play with it in a one gal batch so id it sucked I only blew $7 and had 10 Beers to choke down so I added 1.5 lbs of Maris otter pale malt, .435 lbs of cara pils 80l (my only change and was supposed to be half a lb) 1 oz of citra hops and us-05 yeast to my shopping list along with a grain bag.

Steeped. All grains for an hr at 152 degrees then followed hop schedule accordingly...had four craft beers during this process...house smells great, wort looks great (currently in ice bath) love it....will update as process progresses...big thank u to the site as I have learned a lot from u guys and gals

First, alittle background, I received a craftabrew kit for christmas last yea and brewed an American pale ale and an orange ale (extract kits from craftabrew) I have been making the transition to all grain 5 gal batches....I have the original 3 gal kettle, 30qt pot, thief, hydrometer, auto siphon, 6 gal better bottle, gram scale, tubing, etc just need a mash tun...well I gathered most of the 5 gal stuff at lhbs today and I was researching smash recipes

I came across this http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/41168/citra-smash and so I decided since I didn't have a mash tun and was short on cash I'd try to play with it in a one gal batch so id it sucked I only blew $7 and had 10 Beers to choke down so I added 1.5 lbs of Maris otter pale malt, .435 lbs of cara pils 80l (my only change and was supposed to be half a lb) 1 oz of citra hops and us-05 yeast to my shopping list along with a grain bag.

Steeped. All grains for an hr at 152 degrees then followed hop schedule accordingly...had four craft beers during this process...house smells great, wort looks great (currently in ice bath) love it....will update as process progresses...big thank u to the site as I have learned a lot from u guys and gals

Correction, you mashed the grains, not steeped. The process is mostly the same but the results are different as steeping is to release the color and flavor and mashing is to convert starches to sugars by enzymatic action.:)

Since you have a 30 QT pot, you could get a paint strainer bag from the hardware store and do a 5 gallon batch instead of the 1 gallon. It doesn't take much more time and you'll have 5 times as much beer. You will have to be careful when you add the grains and I'd suggest you not start with a beer that should go over a 1.050 OG as the grains and water will fill the pot to the brim. It would be best if you kept back some of the water and did a small sparge step instead of the full volume no sparge. You'll also need to watch carefully for a boil over with hot break as the wort comes to a boil. The hot break will subside fairly quickly and then you won't have to watch so closely.

I think you'll like your beer well enough to want to make it again. Keep it on the cool side of the yeast's preferred range for the first few days and you'll avoid fusel alcohol and the other off flavors that hot ferments bring.

I wasn't sure if it was still a mash if its BIAB, but thanks for the advice....I want my amber ale to be my cornerstone brew, however this is my first crack at it...ill settle for drinkable....

in the future my base recipe will probably not be for a blonde ale but I was kind of winging it....I'm going to start really researching BJCP guidelines for amber ales and amber ale award winning recipes until I can formulate my own.

I could've done the 5 gal batch but this recipe only costs me $7 which makes me feel better in case it doesn't turn out right its currently in the carboy bubbling away through the airlock....gonna be a long 4-6 weeks....pics coming soon

By the way recipe predicted 1.041 and even with the extra grain my o.g. was 1.042

Finally got around to adding a few pics...stepping up to a five gallon pumpkin ale tonight

Getting impatient and amber ale has only been fermenting 3 days

1411301841680.jpg

1411302504607.jpg

1411302522867.jpg

Sampled today 1 week in fermenter and 1 week in bottle...not as "caramelly" as I had anticipated...will add more carapils next time

1412118174248.jpg

I definitely have that...I was very happy with the thick long lasting head and nice lacing...was looking for a strong caramelly
/roasted taste amber ales are famous for, such as bells amber ale or fat tire

add a touch of caramel/crystal malts, or munich to get you closer to that flavor profile you're after.

Latest posts

Back