first BIAB low OG, two probable problems and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
Alright, I knocked out my first BIAB, which went pretty well except I missed my OG by about 12 points (1.052 vs. expected 1.064). The recipe was Jamil's robust porter straight out of the book.

-first issue was the LHBS mentioned that most of his BIAB customers crush once with no issues, but he would be more than happy to run it thru again if I like. I went with one run thru the mill.
-Second issue was that I nailed my mash temp...only to find my probe was reading 5 degrees high....thus I mashed at 147 instead of 152. I used a fluke meter with a thermocouple probe, which I thought would be accurate. Mistake

Thoughts on going forward? Also, what temp probes are yall using? I hate to buy a thermapen just for brewing. Not to say I wouldnt, I just hate to.

BTW, the FG was around 1.011 after 5 days, so I am sure it will be a fine beer....maybe a tad thin is all.

I buy my grains pre-crushed from online stores and I'm sure they only do one single pass and I've been getting typically 80% mash efficiency via BIAB. These are the things that I do:

• Stir every 20 minutes
  • Direct "fire" on my electric stove, element set to "1" to "2", to keep mash temp consistent
  • Mash at standard thicknesses (1.25:1 - qts water:lb grain) instead of full volume
  • Rinse/sparge the grains with additional hot water after pulling the bag out
  • Squeeze/press the bejeezus out of the grains once done

I use this thermometer - http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/11/hands-on-cdn-dtq450x-quick-read.html

What efficiency was the recipe assuming?

I have found the inexpensive digital stick thermometers to be pretty darn accurate and can be found for under ten bucks.

I like to have at least a couple of thermos so they can watch each other, or check each other.

Check them in an insulated cup packed with crushed ice, and at boil.

When I started BIAB I was seeing a low OG. I found out, through an unrelated use of my thermometer, that it was reading 5 degrees higher than actual. Once I started compensating for that my efficiency shot up. I brew a hefe recipe with the same ingredients each time. I purchase those ingredients from the same malt house each time. Correct temps brought me up from 70 percent to 77. Yup, temps make that big of a difference.

I buy already crushed grains and then run them through my mill a second time. I have a Blichman 10 gallon brew kettle that has a built in thermometer. I have tested against my stick thermometer which is accurate. Both get the same readings do I just go by what the Blichman thermometer says.

Back