First BIAB Done & Boy am I Happy! (Lots of Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to share this with all the other BIAB brewers out there. Being that today is "National Beer Day", I had to crack open a bottle from my first BIAB attempt. Well, let me just say this is probably the best tasting home brew I have made so far! Ten brews under my belt (9 extract, 1 BIAB) not including the Mr. Beer kits that got me into brewing (I did about 6 of these kits). I will definitely make this again and double it the recipe. So instead of making 3 gallons, make 6 next time.

I entered this into a home brewers competition for feedback not expecting anything more than that.

So here we go!

Brew day was on 3/9/16.

Ingredients:
Grains:
- 7 lbs Rahr 2-row
- 0.625 lbs Caramel 40

Hops:
- 0.4 oz Bravo (60 min)
- 0.6 oz Bravo (20 mins)
- 1 oz Warrior (5 mins)
- 1 oz Citra (Dry hop)

Yeast:
- SAFALE US-05 ALE YEAST (pitched right from the collection ball of the American Wheat brewed a week earlier).

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.
NOTES:
Brewed on 3/9/16.
Mash Temp for the first 30 minutes was at 154.
Mash Temp for the last 30 minutes was at 150.
OG 1.066 @ 58 degrees. When adjusted OG came in at 1.065.
Wort from hydrometer sample tasted really good!
3/11/16 - Fermenter temp @ 64
3/20/16 - Racked to secondary
3/21/16 - Dry hopped, Gravity 1.008
3/26/16 - Bottled
4/9/16 - UNYHA Home Brew Competition

Crushed grains. Made it as fine as I could with my DIY corona mill.
BWC_Crushed_Grains.jpg

Mash pics. I wrapped my keggle with a sleeping bag to help maintain the temps. At 30 mins in I took the lid off and stirred really well then let it sit again. At 60 mins I repeated the heavy stirring before removing the bag.
BWC_Mash_1.jpg
BWC_Mash_2.jpg

Lots of trub and what not settling. The first picture was taken about one hour after the wort was added to the carboy. The second picture was after I shook the carboy to oxygenate the wort before I added the yeast.
BIAB_3G_IPA_1.jpg
BIAB_3G_IPA_2.jpg

The next morning. Yes, I replaced the airlock with a blowoff tube.
BIAB_3G_IPA_3.jpg

3/15/16 A lot of the trub had settled nicely.
BIAB_3G_IPA_4_3-15-16.jpg

Today (4/7/16) tasting a bottle from the batch!
BWC_IPA.jpg

Congrats on the successful brew, and love the pics. Glad you added the blow off tube! ;)

Rich

Thank you! :)

Yeah me too! It was crazy, b/c fermentation took off in about an hour after pitching the yeast from my other brew (collection ball from the FastFerment conical). That night I went to bed (about 1am) and the airlock was bubbling away and no issues. By 8am after getting my daughter on the school bus I checked it and thats what I found. Well the LHBS doesn't open until 10am. So I was changing out the airlock every 30-45 minutes with a new clean/sanitized one until I could get to the LHBS. Good thing I work from home and wasn't on the road the next day!

Back