First Biab brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I have a question, and looking for advice. I plan on doing my first Biab batch tomorrow night. I've been doing 10 gallon extract w/ steeping grains in the past. Me and my brother in law usually get a keg a piece from the brew. I have a 15 gallon brew pot, and from what I've read 10 gallons may be too big of batch. Should I just do a 5 gallon batch or does anyone have ideas to make it work. I'm either going to do a scottish 80 or possibly a cream ale, if it matters.

Thanks for any help,
Ted

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends on the grain bill. You can also keep 1 or 2 gallons out of the mash and then use it to rinse the grains as a sort of sparge.

I'm looking into different software stuff, so if I rinse or sparge with the extra water, just use the same water volume that the software suggests?

Ya if I'm supposed to strike with 7 gallons. I use 6 and sparse with the other gallon

I do 10 gallon batches all the time in my keggle but I do the same as jjw5015 and sparge with some of the water doing so allows me to do 10 gallon batches and my efficiency is a little better rinsing the grains with a couple gallons of water.

Thanks for the info! I decided to just do 5 gallons the first time and then try a 10 gallon batch, by rinsing the grains with additional water.

As someone who just entered BIAB with a keggle I'd say do 3-5 five Fallon batches before going to 10 gallon. Main reason for me would be familiarity with the process and getting my routine down.

I have gotten an average (of my 3 BIAB brews) of ~12 gallon batches, of 82%.... Not sure why you are thinking you cant go with a 10 gallon. BUT like stated, doing smaller batches at first is always best to become familiar with the process and learning your equipment ins and outs which I believe is the hardest part of brewing. Adding the green stuff to the wet stuff is easy :)

Make reasoning for not thinking I could do a 10 gallon batch, is because my kettle is 15 gallons

Make reasoning for not thinking I could do a 10 gallon batch, is because my kettle is 15 gallons

You just have a thicker mash. Instead of 3 quarts per pound you have 1.5. Just make sure it won't overfill your pot before you add grains. Keep them in a bag and see how much water will fit with the grains submerged dry. Yes grains soak up water but this seems faster than adding 1 Gallon of 155F water at a time until you feel you have enough for the brew.

You can use to find out how much mash water plus grain will fit into a given brew ketle. Put your recipe in and it will warn you if you're going to be able to fit everything.

Would agree with others on 10 gal batches in 15 gal kettle. I mash with 12 gallons and go from there. This usually leaves me 4 or 5 gallons short, I do a quick sparge in my fermenter bucket, works really well.

Cheers!

Back