First Berliner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientistbrewNq

Reaction score
So I'm doing a split batch for an event. One will be a key lime Berliner and the other a straight up berliner with more than likely the addition of syrup at the event. Two questions: one, has anyone had experience with "Kermit's Key West Key Lime Juice" a family member was in KW and picked me up a few bottles and two, in terms of syrups any recommendations on what manufacturers make a good wooddruff or raspberry syrup. Are there other flavored syrups that one might recommend over the more traditional versions?

By the way, to my surprise and dismay the key lime juice does have sodium benzoate as a preservative. Per the bottle is has less than 1 1/0 of 1 % sodium benzoate. Any issues or concerns with using in the beer. Again this will only be for 2.5 gallons given I'm doing a split batch.

One other question, I've never done such a low ABV. Will S-05 get me to 1.006. Honestly, the only yeast to get me under 1.01 was 3711. I've used S-05 in the past and never gotten below 1.01.

Thanks and hopefully this berliner works out.

With your low starting gravity, I'm thinking US-05 might get below 1.010. I've had Nottingham get me down to 1.008 for a low OG Blonde before.

I've spoken to Lance at Omega about his Lacto blend multiple times and he always stresses the use of NO HOPS before the Lactobacillus blend is added. Hops preservative qualities are to inhibit Lactobacillus. If you want to get the full effect of the Lacto, then do not use any hops before the Lacto finishes doing it's thing.

I have a recipe for Berliner Weisse that calls for WB06 from Safbrew. This might be an option for you.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Yeah I will be kettle souring so boil and bittering will occur after lacto has dropped the pH. I will look into these two others yeast to see what their attenuation looks like versus s05. I was thinking of hydrating the s05 before pitching just in case.

Thanks guys anyone wants to comment on the juice and or syrups I'm all ears...

FYI S-05 got me down to 1.008. Not bad definitely didn't get going for probably 24 hrs despite plenty O2. I have a feelng I should have reconstituted S-05 before pitching. pH was 3.3 so I have a feeling S-05 struggled to get going in those conditions but given it was my first Berliner who knows... Also as an fyi, I used some key lime juice in a sample and the pH of that stuff was around 2.2. Literally a teaspoon in 3 oz dropped me to almost 2.9. So I'm not sure I'm going to use much juice. I'm thinking of just zesting the hell out of it.... The sourness of the base will likely give the impression that I used juice versus running the risk of dropping the pH to a point that tums and a dentist appointment are required :).

Search KeyWestBrewing's posts about how he does his BW's. He does all kinds of funky sours with BW as a base. He is a good resource.

I am doing a briny watermelon Gose now and started from a ph of 3.3. I made a double stepped starter of WLP029 and it chewed right thru the ph and salinity and attenuated down to 1.009. I had targeted 1.010 so I was pleased. Reached this in 5 days @65F BTW.

***OYL-605 rocks! Hope Omega sees this!!***:rockin:

Oh yeah...the syrups. You can order Woodruff and Raspberry syrups which are the real German deal from German Deli in TX. BW's are often served with a side of syrup (in Germany) as you know. They ask you red or green? I like the woodsy, herbal green syrup and my wife likes the raspberry addition.

Haha I actually sent him an IM. I figured if anyone knows anything about a key lime berliner he does... Also agree 605 will be my go to for any/all kettle soured beers which a gose and a dry hopped sour blonde are on deck... In terms of syrups, given I zested my berliner I'm thinking a raspberry syrup with the key lime aroma and the sourness of the berliner will work nicely for an upcoming brewing event. I didn't know if there were any particular syrups that were really good as I'm sure some products are better than others.

I wanted to use that juice so darn bad but given how it impacted the pH I assumed it may cause more harm than good...

S-05 took about 7 days and it was mostly due to that lag but once it got really going around day 3 or 4 it chewed through the sugars. I mean the O.G. was low so I figured the fermentation wouldn't be too long. I wasn't sure if it would get me under 1.01 but I was glad it did otherwise ABV would have been closer to water ;)

Search KeyWestBrewing's posts about how he does his BW's. He does all kinds of funky sours with BW as a base. He is a good resource.

I am doing a briny watermelon Gose now and started from a ph of 3.3. I made a double stepped starter of WLP029 and it chewed right thru the ph and salinity and attenuated down to 1.009. I had targeted 1.010 so I was pleased. Reached this in 5 days @65F BTW.

***OYL-605 rocks! Hope Omega sees this!!***:rockin:

Oh yeah...the syrups. You can order Woodruff and Raspberry syrups which are the real German deal from German Deli in TX. BW's are often served with a side of syrup (in Germany) as you know. They ask you red or green? I like the woodsy, herbal green syrup and my wife likes the raspberry addition.

Haha I actually sent him an IM. I figured if anyone knows anything about a key lime berliner he does... Also agree 605 will be my go to for any/all kettle soured beers which a gose and a dry hopped sour blonde are on deck... In terms of syrups, given I zested my berliner I'm thinking a raspberry syrup with the key lime aroma and the sourness of the berliner will work nicely for an upcoming brewing event. I didn't know if there were any particular syrups that were really good as I'm sure some products are better than others.

I wanted to use that juice so darn bad but given how it impacted the pH I assumed it may cause more harm than good...

S-05 took about 7 days and it was mostly due to that lag but once it got really going around day 3 or 4 it chewed through the sugars. I mean the O.G. was low so I figured the fermentation wouldn't be too long. I wasn't sure if it would get me under 1.01 but I was glad it did otherwise ABV would have been closer to water ;)

Have you ever tried a Westbrook Gose? That beer measures a ph of 3.25 and it is plenty sour. I am afraid to go below 3.25 for fear of pucker power may over run the appeal. PLUS......don't know how those Yeasty Boys will handle that acidity.

I was at Wicked Weed Funkatorium in Asheville NC last month. The mildest sour on the tap board was 3.7 and the most sour was 3.3. Nothing below that, so I figure that is a range to fit between.

Google up German Deli in TX. They have two brands of the syrups most commonly used in Germany. It's the real deal, not a substitute.

Yes Westbrook's gose is probably one of my favs in that style, and much appreciated I will check them syrups out.

Have you ever tried a Westbrook Gose? That beer measures a ph of 3.25 and it is plenty sour. I am afraid to go below 3.25 for fear of pucker power may over run the appeal. PLUS......don't know how those Yeasty Boys will handle that acidity.

I was at Wicked Weed Funkatorium in Asheville NC last month. The mildest sour on the tap board was 3.7 and the most sour was 3.3. Nothing below that, so I figure that is a range to fit between.

Google up German Deli in TX. They have two brands of the syrups most commonly used in Germany. It's the real deal, not a substitute.

I soured a berliner to 3.2 using the Omega lacto. Wyeast 1056 fermented it out just fine. Beer was sour as all get out though.

Yeah thinking 16 hrs can be a bit too much depending on the end goal... I still was very pleased and s05 got me darn close to the intended final gravity. I will hydrate next time though.

I put a blanket of co2 down and when I went out to the garage the next morning-ish I was like oh crap it's time to lock it down....

By the way I zested 1 pound of key limes which was 4 dollars here in pa... after about 5 days there's deinitely a pronounced lime aroma. Would I say that it is key lime.... not necessarily. The wife said how much lime juice did I add. When I said none she was very surprised. In terms of weight it was probably 0.25 to 0.5 ounces by weight.

Yeah thinking 16 hrs can be a bit too much depending on the end goal... I still was very pleased and s05 got me darn close to the intended final gravity. I will hydrate next time though.

I put a blanket of co2 down and when I went out to the garage the next morning-ish I was like oh crap it's time to lock it down....

By the way I zested 1 pound of key limes which was 4 dollars here in pa... after about 5 days there's deinitely a pronounced lime aroma. Would I say that it is key lime.... not necessarily. The wife said how much lime juice did I add. When I said none she was very surprised. In terms of weight it was probably 0.25 to 0.5 ounces by weight.

Did you dry hop that lime zest or free float in your fermenter?

How long you planning to condition before you set sail into the brews? Are you kegging or bottling?

I am partial to lemon in my Berliner Weiss. I brew it with an organic lemonade added after primary, but you already have a citrus. Another idea is spicy, like hot and sour soup. You could always make the syrup.

Placed the 0.5 Oz of zest im guessing... some rum and a touch of lime juice. Placed in secondary and transferred the beer on top of the zest. Total time on zest will likely be 7 to 10 days mostly because I want to keg to 3.2 volumes of co2. Swing tops would probably be fine but it don't want to chance it. I don't have any kegs free at the moment...

Did you dry hop that lime zest or free float in your fermenter?

How long you planning to condition before you set sail into the brews? Are you kegging or bottling?

Yeah I want to do a Meyer lemon berliner... there's a brewery in Richmond. They do a habanero, lime, and passion fruit gose.... I love the spicy, sweet, sour, salty profile.. that's on deck at some point...

I am partial to lemon in my Berliner Weiss. I brew it with an organic lemonade added after primary, but you already have a citrus. Another idea is spicy, like hot and sour soup. You could always make the syrup.

Back