First Beer - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgilbertson

Reaction score
I bought a Bobblehead 60 IPA kit from the local brew store and mixed it up on Saturday afternoon. I did not get a Trud? like stated in the book. Put it in the fermintater and today it is bubbling nicley with a nice foam layer on it.
Do I need to worry about about the Trud?

Thanks

It's best to leave the trub in the kettle if you can. Try adding a little whirfloc the last 15 min of the boil, that will help.

In the few batches I've made so far, despite using whirlfloc, it pretty much all remained in suspension when it was time to add to my fermenter. :(

I hear people recommend leaving the trub behind a lot, but what's the reasoning for this? I've heard the trub is helpful because the proteins are good nutrient for the yeast. I could understand wanting to leave the hop debris behind, but that's better accomplished with a hop spider so that you still get the proteins. Thoughts?

Back