First beer in the bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
I may have rushed this one a bit, it's the first brew I've done out of 2. It's a Pale Ale that I left in primary for a little over a week then racked to a secondary. Today is 1 day over 3 weeks from when it was brewed. I was planning on waiting until next week to bottle it but with my work schedule right now (I work at a movie theater and Harry Potter just came out) I may end up getting called in on my day off, especially if it rains. Then the following week is a mini vacation with SWMBO so if I didn't bottle it today it could have possibly been 2 weeks until I had the time.

I had just about 2 gallons so I primed with 1.7oz of Corn Sugar dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water. Poured that into the bottling bucket, racked on top of it, and gave it a gentle stir. Ended up with 22 12 oz bottles (and maybe 1/4 bottle on the floor trying to get the hang of the bottling wand).

I couldn't resist sampling a little, it tastes better than it did when I racked to the secondary. The hoppiness lingering in the mouth was just what I was looking for but the original bitterness could be toned down just a tad.

Since this is my first brew I'm going to try a bottle after one week and 2 weeks even knowing it will be green so I can have a better understanding of the taste progression as it carbs/conditions.

My only concern is the storage temperature. I basically have 2 options available. The basement is around 65*F and the shelves on the stairway down to the basement are around 75*. Which would be the better location?

With only 22 bottles,I'd let it sit the usual 3 weeks minimum in the 75F location. Knowing It won't be ready yet,there's no sense in giving in to impatience.

The higher temp will give you more carb. What's the fermentation temp of your yeast

I used SafAle US-05 and IIRC the fermentation temp range was 60-75*. I fermented in the 62-65 range.

Knowing It won't be ready yet,there's no sense in giving in to impatience.

It's not so much impatience as wanting to learn/experience more. This way I'll have first hand knowledge of how time impacts flavor. It's also kinda like watching your kids grow up :D.

The brown ale I brewed on the 5th is going to be sitting in the primary for at least another 2 weeks, maybe 3 depending on when I get to my brother's house for more bottles.

Thanks for the responses. That saves me from having to move the beers. I figure out of the 22 beers I'll be drinking around 16 myself and giving the other 6 to various brothers, coworkers, etc. By the time these are ready to drink and gone my second batch should be just about ready. Probably going to have more of the second batch since I was a little more careful with the volume going into the fermenter. After my first paycheck in August I'm probably going to brew a 5 gallon batch. Classes start back up the end of August and between school and work I probably won't have another chance to brew until around Columbus Day :(.

I'd condition at the cooler temp were it me. The carbing won't go as fast, but the lower temp will produce better beer that doesn't need as much conditioning. You wanna be as close to the optimum carbing temp of 70 as possible, and the internal temp is going to be slightly warmer than ambient temp, so I'd go with 65 over 75 myself.

BTW, the warmer temp won't give you "more carb" like the one posted stated, it is just going to carb faster. You will get full carb in three weeks at 65.

Back