first beer ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalpha

Reaction score
Me and my roommate have been "studying" for some time now and are going to pull the trigger next week on our first brew day. We have decided to make two batches a extract and a partial mash. Kinda want to increase our learning curve. Any of your favorite extract and partial recipes that you would recommend with a description of each? We have some ideas, but if anything sticks out in your minds on a beginners or favorite recipe for each method would be appreaciated. I know everyone have their own tastes, but if something really sticks out please chime in.

Thanks guys!

I would highly suggest hitting up your LHBS and going for a kit- they tend to be pretty solid recipes, and have a wide variety. Ask the folks working there for a recommendation, they will know best what they have! Coming in with a "I like the flavor of [beer name]" is not frowned upon, especially as a starter.

That being said, as you have 2 brews, why not make two completely different styles?

One of the favorites I have made was my first real batch, an Irish Red Ale (kit from More Beer recommended by the guy working there). Moderate body with a nice slight bitterness on the end, perfect for washing down a slice of pizza. I love a good "beer that goes with food" brew. Irish red is up there, or if you want to go good and hoppy, make an IPA. I find that making an IPA tends to impress your non-brewing friends the most, as it sounds like a serious beer.

As for a second brew, perhaps something more refreshing, like a hefeweizen? Though, as the summer ends, you may want to go for a dunkelweizen. It is not hoppy, but refreshing and can be as simple or as complex in flavor depending on the recipe.

The reason I say to go with a kit rather than finding a recipe is so you know you have everything, you don't have to worry about possible substitutions, and the LHBS should really know it.

And as always, happy brewing, it is an awesome hobby!

this is just a simple 1 to get started with, and taste what you can have. not much learning here, just a little practice:

6 lbs wheat dme
1 oz hersbrucker hops ( or hallertau, if you can't get hersbrucker )
wlp300 hefeweizen yeast, or wb-06 dry wheat yeast will keep it cheaper and more tolerant

get the water heating, stir in the dme just before the boil starts, and pull it off the heat when the foaming starts. you'll have to do this 3-4 times ( it's called hot break ). when it starts boiling normally without too much foam, pour in the hops. boil 60 minutes. cool it to 80 or less, then dump in the yeast. cover it, and let it sit 11 days. then, boil 5 oz corn sugar in a cup of water, pour it in your secondary, and siphon the beer you made into the secondary. the sugar will mix itself in as you siphon it. then bottle it per instructions in 8 billion posts on the net. remember: SANITIZE EVERYTHING before you use it. it'll ruin a lot of money's worth and time if you don't. let if carbonate 4 days or so, then put it in the frig for a day or 2, and enjoy your hefeweizen while you're looking up another recipe

My first three batches were a Irish Red, Wit and Honey Brown all from northern brewer. The Brown was the best. All were Extract.

Think of your two most favorite beers and find clone recipes here, on the net, or from the LHBS.(probably not anything big like an Imperial IPA or something like that though)

If you do clones of beers you really like you will at least have an idea on what they should taste like and if they come out good, you know for sure you will drink them!
It is kind of a "win-win" scenario!

Back