First Beer, First Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColbyBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all. I've brewed mead a couple times with no problems, but, not liking the wait for aging, thought I'd try brewing beer. Got a kit for a Belgian Wheat, nothing extravagant. I put it in a bucket and let it sit for a week. Then I decided to rack it into a carboy to clarify, and this I believe was my mistake. The FG was perfectly fine and on target.

Sanitation was about as good as I could do over all. Everything had been soaked in starsan solution, and I racked onto the remnants in the carboy. During the racking itself though, far more air got into the tubing than I would have liked, coming in around where the racking cane and the tube met. After a few days, the starsan bubbles dissipated, leaving a ring of smaller bubbles. I wasn't concerned until yesterday, when I noticed several large white patches in the ring. It seemed like they were just very dense patches of bubbles at first.

Here're some pictures from yesterday:
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

Then here's today: Notice the patches are bigger, and the largest has begun to sprout brown stuff off its bottom.
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg

Any thoughts on if I've ruined it? Or am I just being paranoid about my first batch?

If this pic is recent let it go two more days without disturbing the carboy and post a new pic.

Yeah I'm with Smellglove. Doesn't look to worrisome to me, a little like yeast rafts but not quite. I think it's fine. next time skip the secondary especially on a wheat beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back