First Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So I finished brewing my first brew today! I think I got it all dialed in right and I guess tomorrow I shall see how it is going! I am doing an partial BIAB from Northern brewer the Caribou Brown Slobber so hopefully all goes well and in a month or so I got a nice brew!

So woke this am to see beautiful little bubbles coming outta my airlock!! Can't wait!!

Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks. Funny thing is I did this back in the 90s and got discouraged with my brews. After all the stuff I did yesterday I think back and don't think I did half that stuff. So I think I am back on to this addiction!

So my beer this am seemed to have stopped bubbling? I think it does every now and then but not like yesterday. Is this normal? Also I noticed last night it got real cold out and the temp of fermenter dropped to 63-64 so could the yeast have just slowed down? I moved it to a warmer part of the house to see if that helps as well.

Its normal to see a real active fermenation at the beginning, but after awhile all the easy sugars are gone so the yeast slows down on the munching to spend extra time with the more complex sugars.

Also the airlock is not an good indicator of active fermentation even if you don't see any movement in it, since you can easily have a leak around the lid of your fermentor that is lettign the CO2 out. Best thing to do is to wait about 14 days take a hydrometer reading, note down the FG, wait 2 days, take another hydrometer reading (pulling a seperate sample of course), and if it is stable then fermentation is done. If your first reading is near your OG and you don't see any sign in your fermentor of fermentation (no kaursen ring) then you might have an issue, but we won't get into that now.

Thanks. I figured it was something like that. I was just worried it got on the cooler side. I shall see in 2 weeks how things go!

So I took a OG Sunday and tonight it was stable so I bottled it. Now I just wait a week or two and see how it goes. I also found that I got about 600 ozs bottled. I was a bit nervous about getting to close to the sludge in the bottom but I am sure this will change right? I posted a quick pic on Instagram here

If I make a 5 gallon batch I usually end up with 4.75 gallons in the bottles/keg. Never liked the scrum from the bucket ending up in my beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I let it carb up for a week. I couldnt wait to see what it tasted like and if it was carbed up. Sure enough popped a bottle last night heard the psst and poured a nice home made beer!! Tasted pretty good and I am sure will get better in another week or so. Also had a nice head but not huge but I am sure that was due to the short time in the bottle. Cant wait to see next week if I last that long before another taste!

Back