First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch today and like many others comments i've read on this site i realize i'm going to be worried about what i did on my first batch. I'm using two 6.5gallon plastic tubs. I mixed my wort and 3.5gallons water into one of my buckets, and didnt take a temp. Per the recipe i was using it advised me to just wait approx 30 mins after boiling before adding my re-hydrated yeast. At that point i pitched my yeast and covered the bucket with the top, and the airlock. I filled the airlock up to a fill line with the water solution. 5 hours later the water is below the fill line in the airlock and i see some condensation inside of the airlock.. My question is what should my concerns be, and also what should my next steps be to ensure i get a decent batch of beer for my first time.

1. Get a thermometer. Pitching your yeast at the right temp is crucial in making good beer.

2. Did you sanitize everything properly? What did you use as a sanitizer, and did you make sure to sanitize everything that did, or may come in contact with the beer after the boil?

Aside from that, as long as you followed the recipe properly there are few opportunities for error.

I have a thermometer, i was just being lazy.. Also i sanitized everything using iodophor btf sanitizer.. Another question regarding the sanitizing process... obviously i did all the buckets and the lid and stirring spoon. But when i was sanitizing the airlock i pulled it out with my hand, probably a stupid question, but is that ok?

I have a thermometer, i was just being lazy.. Also i sanitized everything using iodophor btf sanitizer.. Another question regarding the sanitizing process... obviously i did all the buckets and the lid and stirring spoon. But when i was sanitizing the airlock i pulled it out with my hand, probably a stupid question, but is that ok?

That's fine. Unless you grabbed or licked the little shaft that sticks into the hole (yeah, that sounds dirty) there's no cause for alarm. Even if you did, the CO2 given off creates outward pressure to expel things from the fermenter. :mug:

OK.. Thanks.. As far as the liquid going below the line where i originally filled it.. is that normal?

That's fine as well. Due to the pressure changes some liquid may get sucked into the airlock. If you want, you can just top the airlock off with some cheap vodka or a little more sanitizing solution. But that isn't an abnormal thing at all, so no worries!

didnt cool the wort much.. just dumped it right into the 3.5G of cold water... its been almost 21 hours now and i havnt seen any bubbles coming out of the airlock.. also when i add more solution to the airlock to make it fill up to the fill line it continues to empty out about halfway, back into the ferm bucket.

So, you didn't make any effort to cool the wort aside from mixing it with some cold water? That could explain both problems. 1. That probably didn't get the wort cold enough to pitch the yeast. Once you approach the 100 degree mark there's a high likelihood that the yeast will die. That could explain no signs of fermentation (although 21 hours is in no way enough time to say with certainty, especially just by judging airlock activity). And 2. If your wort was that hot when you sealed it up you're going to have issues of the cooling effect changing the density and pressure of the air inside the bucket which will continue to draw in airlock liquid until it cools and equalizes.

so.. with my current mistakes made.. any way to fix the situation.. should i open it up to see if anything is going on..?

All is not lost. First, let it sit another day or two and see if any activity starts up. The yeast may not be completely dead and only shocked and it could take a while for them to get back up to speed. If after a few days there's still nothing and your hydrometer proves this is the case you can always pitch more yeast.

ok, so best way to test is whould be to remove the top. Is it ok to remove the airlock at that time as well, in an attempt tyo reduce that back pressure that is sucking in my solution in the airlock??

As you pull off the lid you will get suck-back too. If you're going to do this, try to be careful and slowly loosen the fermenter lid to release the pressure, then remove the lid. Make sure you sanitize everything.

ok.. i pealed off the lid, minimal suck-back.. I observed alot of condensation of the roof or underneath of the lid. No signs of any fermentation. I re-sanitized everything, and measured with the thermometer. It read at about 64, or the 15 mark. I sealed everything back up. Where to go from here?

Since everything is sanitized and nothing looks infected, you can wait another day or two or go ahead and re-pitch. It's still possible that your first yeast is viable and not fermenting yet. It's also possible you killed the first yeast by pitching to hot. Unless you have yeast lying around, I'd watch it another 24-36 hours. Then re-pitch if nothing seems to be happening.

Ok.. So i didnt have a chance to get to my homebrew store until this morning which has left my primary container to ferment for about 3 to 4 days. When i left this morning to get my new yeast, as I had come to the conclusion that I had killed my yeast pitching at too high of a temperature, there was no visible activity. When i came home I began re-hydrating my new yeast and opened my pantry to remove the tub when i noticed the airlock bubbling. Approximately one bubble every 1 to 2 secs. I assume that i haven't actually killed my yeast and it was just shocked. Advice needed.. Scrape the new yeast altogether? Anything else i should be worried about?

I would go ahead and pitch the yeast... then leave it alone for three weeks. I think it will be fine then. What kind of yeast is it?

Back