First batch, two weeks in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzarksBrews

Reaction score
Ok, total newbie, working on a pretty basic beginners kit. Two weeks in the primary and I wanted to go ahead and experience two stage fermentation so I racked to the Carboy today. Went very smoothly from sanitation to siphoning so I think I'm on the right track. I figure another two weeks here and then bottle conditioning. I would appreciate thoughts and hints 🍻View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420933664.983470.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420933682.717995.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420933705.837069.jpg

Could have skipped the carboy and most likely could have bottled. You run the risk of infection every time you move the beer. Congrats on your first beer.

Right on man. I rack to secondary because I can't help myself lol

I check my brew every day, check the temps, smell the airlock (probably twice a day), make sure my temp controller is still set, wonder what I can put into it while it is in secondary...

I always rack to a carboy secondary, makes for a clearer beer. Usually 2 weeks primary and 1 week secondary. I have a 3 fermenter system. rotate them every week and brew when I rack the 2 week beer into the carboy, which frees up a bucket then fill that bucket up with a fresh brew.

I can't help myself

I check my brew every day, check the temps, smell the airlock (probably twice a day), make sure my temp controller is still set, wonder what I can put into it while it is in secondary...

I think they may have developed a pill for that kind of extreme OCD

I think U have beer

I too think you have beer but I also think you have too much headspace in your secondary. While your beer is in the primary, you have a lot of CO2 in the space above your beer which helps keep the bacteria at bay but when you transfer to secondary you leave that CO2 behind and depend on the outgassing of CO2 that was dissolved in your beer to replace it. Depending on how long your beer was in primary and at what stage it was in the fermentation your beer may still be producing enough CO2 to protect it but a safer bet would be to put enough beer into the secondary so that it is up to the neck, leaving little space for the CO2 to fill. Regardless of your best sanitation methods, the air in your fermenter will still have some bacteria in it.

I'm just a novice but will counter this opinion - that looks pretty much like my beers (volume wise) whenever I secondary them. And at 2 weeks in you should produce plenty of co2 (through out gassing and possibly a little more fermentation) to fill the space. It isn't like you transfered after a long time In the primary or are planning a long bulk conditioning in the carboy.

Folks on here tend to give grief about using a secondary.... But to each his own. I have 2 buckets and 2 carboys.so I tend to secondary whenever I'm brewing frequently enough to want a bucket when it isn't free...otherwise I may not- not out of fear of contamination or oxidation but laziness!

Great job. I love the nice clear pictures. I suspect successful beer in your near future. The wait on the first brew is a killer. 3 weeks to wait. Try not to crack one open before that it really means less good beer later on.

I too followed the supposed rule book for my first few brews. Primary to secondary to bottle/keg. I didn't want to cut corners or at least, feel I was cutting them.

There is a ridiculous number of threads espousing the virtues of both approaches. I'm sure like many you will, in time do some further reading on this and many other topics and decide for yourself which methods to use.

Once again, great job on the brew, looks good, and great pictures. Keep them coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

+1 on the brewhauler, or a similar harness system for moving full carboys. The neck handles are appropriate for moving empty carboys. I consider them to be a backstop safety feature vs. having the neck slip out of my grasp; my other hand is always under the carboy bottom to support its weight. It is unlikely that a neck will snap but Murphy's Law applies.

The primary/secondary debate has become for me a "whatever works for you" issue. If you've purged your sterilized secondary and your beer is still fermenting, then the head space will fill with CO2 and you shouldn't have any issues with infection. One caveat here is to make sure that you fill your secondary slowly from the bottom. I rack from a 6.5 gallon carboy to a 6 gallon carboy and figure in the loss to trub for my initial volume.

My advice is to wait at least a month from bottling to drinking. You'll find a sweet spot on the drinking continuum that will determine how long to condition your beer the next time around.

Good job, neighbor. I won't give you any grief about the secondary. Your beer will likely turn out great.

What part of the Ozarks are you in?

Two weeks bottle conditioning. Took two and put in the fridge this morning, poured them tonight (nice and slow) to pair with a juicy Steak! Tasted very good but just a little yeasty. Think I'll let them continue to bottle another week and recheck. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Two weeks bottle conditioning. Took two and put in the fridge this morning, poured them tonight (nice and slow) to pair with a juicy Steak! Tasted very good but just a little yeasty. Think I'll let them continue to bottle another week and recheck. Thoughts?

Check again in a week, and then check again in another week. You'll reach a point where the beer tastes just fine - then you'll know for the next time. Great job!

Gave them another two weeks and it made a huge difference. Quite pleased with my first batch, ready to start in on the next!

I always rack to a carboy secondary, makes for a clearer beer. Usually 2 weeks primary and 1 week secondary. I have a 3 fermenter system. rotate them every week and brew when I rack the 2 week beer into the carboy, which frees up a bucket then fill that bucket up with a fresh brew.

I have a 3 fermenting system but all are primary. I move the beer less and (knock on wood) no infections to date. This allows them to sit in Primary for a minimum of 3 weeks (sometimes up to 8) and all of my batches have cleared up nicely. For the price of another bucket, it's worth it. I use my carboys for wine now.

Back