First batch (Sierra Nevada Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish91001

Professional Amateur Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I completed my first attempt at all grain, a Sierra Nevada clone. It turned out with a 1.072 O.G after hops and boil (est was 1.058). Not sure what happened there. I think I added about 1/2 oz too much of flavor hops (Pearle). The wort came out a bit green and I only collected about 3-1/2 gals. I boiled for 90 mins and may have boiled it down too much. It's fermenting now so I will probably transfer to a secondary in a week to help clarify the beer. Let me know what you think!

SNPA was my first AG attempt too. Sounds like you didn't collect of enough wort to compensate for the boil and other loss, but if everything goes right, you could have a nice IPA

Dumb question, but since you had 3.5 gallons of 1.072, why didn't you just add 1 gallons of water to make the beer 4.5 gallons at 1.058, more as written? :confused:

Didn't know you can do that after a boil...If i get purified water, would it be too late as it's only been a day fermenting?

No, you can do that. Either boil your tap water (or whatever water you used in the beer) to get rid of chlorine or used bottled water.

Since you "lost" so much to evaporation, you're only replacing some of the water you boiled off to get to your desired OG anyway. It's fine to do that!

When I first started, I had efficiencies all over the place, so I kept a bag of DME handy, and some water handy. That way, I could still hit my OG no matter how I did in the mash!

Back