First Batch Racked to Secondary.....What next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch last Friday. I used a Midwest Autumn Amber extract, with dry yeast. I did a full boil, for the prescribed 60 minutes, got the temp down via water bath in about 25 minutes, and then moved to the primary. My starting specific gravity was right in the middle of the target range. When I checked the SG tonight, it was right at the high side of the target range, after only five days. Gave it a taste, I believe it is going to be a great batch. The hop intensity was a little more than I was expecting based on the reviews I read on Midwest's website, I suspect because of using a full boil rather than the 3 gallons indicated in the instructions? It definitely has a bit more clearing to do, there was quite a large amount of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, but still a slight cloudy appearance.

I am going to be kegging and force carbonating this batch. I am thinking I should go 2 weeks in the secondary and then move to the corny, does that sound about right, or should I move it sooner? I have a commercial keg on tap currently, with about 3 weeks of life left to it at my consumption rate. My plan is to put a "T" in the CO2 line with a ball valve on each side of it, and supply CO2 to the corny @ around 12 PSI along with the other keg. Will a week be sufficient to carbonate at this pressure? I can drink bottles for a week if I need to, but would definitely like to try out my brew.

Oh, and I can already feel this hobby getting absolutely addictive. I've gone through my garage and have determined that I have basically everything I need to go all grain with the exception of the stainless strainer for the mash tun (batch sparge method). Also, I cut a 1/2 BBL sanke I had hanging around into a keggle.......if 5 gallons is good, 10 gallons has absolutely got to be grand.

It is an addicting hobby!! If you have a corny ready to go, ever consider using it as a secondary, one less transfer. Rack into the corny, throw it in the fridge if you have space, it will clear faster in in the cooler temp. The first pint may have some yeast in it, but just toss it, or drink it anyways.

It is an addicting hobby!! If you have a corny ready to go, ever consider using it as a secondary, one less transfer. Rack into the corny, throw it in the fridge if you have space, it will clear faster in in the cooler temp. The first pint may have some yeast in it, but just toss it, or drink it anyways.

Is the additional time not beneficial for further fermentation? I'm in the target range, but on the high side currently. Also, if I move direct to the corny, do I go ahead and hit it with the CO2 at full pressure, or just give it a low pressure blanket to get rid of the oxygen in the head space?

Most of the current opinion on the use of a secondary is that you don't really need to. The exceptions will be beers which you intend to age for long periods of time or maybe dry hop. You can do a complete fermentation in the primary vessel and then move straight to bottling/kegging. In your case, you may want to wait a few days (since you have time), just make certain that fermentation is complete, checking for a stable gravity for a few days. After this, you can move it to the keg. There is less opportunity for introducing oxygen, bugs, etc. with less transfers.

When transferring to a keg, be sure to purge the keg with CO2 first by sealing the lid, connecting the gas, and releasing the blow-off valve a few times. Then transfer and you can go ahead and put it on full pressure.

The hop intensity was a little more than I was expecting based on the reviews I read on Midwest's website, I suspect because of using a full boil rather than the 3 gallons indicated in the instructions? It definitely has a bit more clearing to do, there was quite a large amount of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter, but still a slight cloudy appearance.

The hop intensity should mellow over time. It sounds like you've had this in your primary fermentor for close to 1-week now? You may want to consider leaving it in the primary for another week before racking to secondary.

I am going to be kegging and force carbonating this batch. I am thinking I should go 2 weeks in the secondary and then move to the corny, does that sound about right, or should I move it sooner?

<snip>

I can drink bottles for a week if I need to, but would definitely like to try out my brew.

Patience is a virtue; I'd give it more time to settle/clear up in the primary and secondary before moving it to the corny.

The hop intensity should mellow over time. It sounds like you've had this in your primary fermentor for close to 1-week now? You may want to consider leaving it in the primary for another week before racking to secondary.

The only reason I moved to the secondary was to free up the primary. I was planning on being close to a home brew shop in Charlotte tomorrow and was going to pick up another kit, sadly plans have changed though.

Patience is a virtue; I'd give it more time to settle/clear up in the primary and secondary before moving it to the corny.

2 more weeks sound about right?

2 more weeks sound about right?

If it were me I would give it at least 2-more weeks in the secondary. The beer *may* be drinkable now, etc., etc., but allowing more time for the beer to settle/mellow won't hurt and may improve the beer a lot.

Latest posts

Back