first batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is my first batch, I'm not a kombucha drinker (yet?) I am making this for my son. I started with a scoby I got off of amazon, it has been going for 12 days now with the temp in the mid to upper 60s. I noticed a thin layer on the top at about day 6 or 7. Yesterday I tried a little to see how things are progressing, still very sweet with a slight sourness, my son said it tasted right just too sweet. I do not remember the exact taste in the beginning but I dont think it changed too much.

When I sampled it I took a little bit from the spigot in an attempt to not disturb the pellicle, but that did not work so well. This is what I found this morning.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/first-kombucha-66734.html

first-kombucha-66734.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/first-kombucha-66735.html
first-kombucha-66735.html

I only took out a slurpful which I thought would not mess with things too much. As slimy as the stuff looks I figured it would just slip down the side but I guess it is actually connected to the glass somehow. The pellicle looks a bit thicker and more opaque now that it is rolled up like that. Yesterday it almost translucent and looked almost like a sheen or film.

So do I try to unroll it or leave it alone?

This is the original scoby. It sank right away but it looks like there may be new growth on it as it was not that shaggy to start with. The scoby instruction said the new scoby might grow onto of the old one and that I can separate them. I am guessing what ever is growing on my old scoby is not what they are talking about and the one growing on the top of the jar is what I want to save for the next batch.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/first-kombucha-66736.html
first-kombucha-66736.html

The tea is still quite clear with some darker threads which I think is OK, but should it be so clear?

The fact that it is still really sweet and clear does this indicate anything like there is not enough yeast active or something else like too low of a temp?

Thanks in advance.

I would leave the scoby alone it will keep growing or sink and start to grow another. I find upper 70's (76to78) as being ideal for quick growth. It will work in the upper 60's but things could take quite a bit longer. If you get it a bit warmer things should happen pretty fast.

Thanks Dye4me. I could see the pellicle was already reforming late that evening so I left it alone. Not sure what is going to happen when it come time to move it to the next batch.

Maybe next batch I will do a slightly small volume to see that will help make it work faster until it starts warming up around here.

Latest posts

Back