First batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
So I just brewed and bottled my first batch. An IPA from a kit. I fermented for 2 weeks (dry hopped after first week). My gravities were good and it smells great and tastes pretty good. My questions are :

First: Should I have used a hop bag? I didn't have an autosiphon (will be my next HBS purchase) so the hops floating around were a PITA. I even did an extra transfer into a secondary bucket to try to run off some of the hops but my last 5 or 6 bottles definitely got some decent amounts of hops in them.

Second: Will my beer still carbonate if some of the bottles have a little too much headspace? I used some 17oz. ers and those have about 2 inches on top. I'll definitely be buying a filling wand too.

Either way it was a blast. Can't wait for my next batch.

Bottle filling wand is a godsend (as well as the auto siphon). Couple of bits of hops won't kill you as long as you know they are there. Welcome!!

Back