First Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwP33

Reaction score
I am a week into fermenation with a honey brown ale. The krausen has fallen and the outside fermometer is now reading between 58*-60*. I used wyeast 1056 and I know this the lower range for the yeast to be active at. So what I'm trying to ask is should I move my primary to a warmer spot or will I be fine to leave it where it is?
Thanks for any insight

Check the hydrometer readings. That's the only way to tell for sure if fermentation is done or not.

Seeing thats its only been a week is it ok to take readings or should I just wait another week then start taking readings?

The temp sounds like it might be a bit low but those in the know may know better. I suppose you could take a measurement now, but might want to wait another week or two just the same. Don't forget that though the ambient temp might be 58 or 60, the actual fermentation process will make the temp higher in the primary. Thus, ferm may still be chugging along and I would not want to mess up what would otherwise be a great brown ale.

B

You can take readings whenever you want. Just remember to sanitize thoroughly everything that will come into contact with the wort.

If you are fairly laissez-faire in your brewing style, then it would be better to wait 2-4 weeks prior to taking a reading. If you are more interested in the whole process then you can take readings more frequently to learn about what is going on with your beer.

I am interested in learning the entire process. Thanks for the good advice I think I'll take some readings to see we I stand.

Back