First Batch of Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
Five weeks ago, I bought two one-gallon jugs of Kirkland Apple Juice from Costco. I added about a 1/4 pound of brown sugar boiled in a couple of cups of juice from each bottle. Bored a hole in each cap for a fermentation lock. Added some yeast nutrient and pitched half a packet of Safle 05 in each bottle.

The bottles stated at 1.067 and fermented down to 1.000 and 0.098.

I stopped fermentation by immersing in 160°F water for 1 hour.

The bottles have been cold crashed for a week before decanting into a corny keg. I added a can of TreeTop Appe Juice concentrate to back sweeten. Force carbonated the cider.

We just pulled the first glass. Wow! For such a simple beverage and in such a short time, this was a worthy effort.

My wife is not a beer drinker, but she's very happy with this.

When I get back from vacation, I think I'll fire up five gallon batch and may even try the Candy Apple Cider recipe!

Thanks to all who gave me great ideas and for being a terrific source of knowledge. This has been a fun side bar to brewing.

:ban: :). :mug:

Thanks, Pepper & Williams!

My son and DIL just got here. They had to try the cider. Both of them wanted a second glass! Awesome!

Back