First batch newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBenton

Reaction score
So, I just got my first batch into the fermenter today. It was the NB Irish Red Ale extract kit. I am pretty sure that I did everything right, but I think I may have made one small error. I pitched the yeast around 83 degrees. After doing that, I noticed that the directions said to wait until 78 degrees. I am just looking for some feedback as to whether I should be worried about anything. Like I said before, this was my first batch and I am still learning how all of this works. Thanks in advance for all of the help. I'm sure there will be more questions in the future.

Paul

Get that temp down to mid 60's soon as possible. What are your current ambient temps now?

If you get the wort temperature down ASAP you will have no problems. Low to mid 60's. I made the same kit as my first. I had it too warm for the first day and a half. I fermented to the longer times in the recipe and it turned out very good>

83 degrees isn't all too high to pitch, but as jonmohno said, get those temps down ASAP. all yeasts have desired temp ranges based on strain, and it's best to ferment in the middle to low end of that range.

It is currently in a fermentation chamber and with temp probe taped to the side of the bucket, the current temp is 79 degrees and falling 1 degree ever 45 mins or so. The temp is set to regulate around 66 degrees. I got that number from the iBrewmaster app. If anyone thinks I should use a different temp, feel free to chime in.

It is currently in a fermentation chamber and with temp probe taped to the side of the bucket, the current temp is 79 degrees and falling 1 degree ever 45 mins or so. The temp is set to regulate around 66 degrees. I got that number from the iBrewmaster app. If anyone thinks I should use a different temp, feel free to chime in.

can't argue with that, 66 is pretty ideal for ale.

You didn't kill your yeast, you might have stressed them out and may have some lag time till fermentation starts.

If you left your beer at 80+ then you have something to worry about.

PBenton said:

66F is good. One thing: keep a very close eye on your chamber (if a freezer), as it will run full bore until the outside of your bucket hits 66... just sayin' ;)

Thanks for all of the help. I will watch the temperature tonight. I will make sure to keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

As of right now, it is sitting at a steady 66 degrees and the air lock is bubbling away. I feel much better now. Can't wait for this one to be finished. I am already anxious to try it.

My first brew also , I pitched @ 76 English brown ale , bubbled two days, temps got up to 78-79 quit bubbling :( (south texas)
Wrapped wet towel with fan on bucket, 4day still not bubbling , it's pressured up though, hope I didn't screw up .. Any other ways to cool the bucket outside of running the ac all day ? hoped not to buy an old icebox until summer with temp controller
Any ideas

Back