First batch mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I made my first batch tonight. A 5 gallon ESB. I made two mistakes. First I put my scirrors in sanitizer without cleaning them. I don't think it's a huge deal. I added Irish moss a beginning of boil instead of 45 minutes, I misread directions. Any ideas if this will screw my batch? Thanks for everyone's input. On the positive side had a blast and got drunk. It took me 15i mins to type this.

I fermented to hot. Not realizing 68 degrees room temp was actually not fermentation temp. I didn't filter my water with a good enough carbon filter either. Guess what, I still drank it. I don't know a lot about Irish moss, but worst case, you just didn't get as good of a cold break as you could have and it might take your beer a little longer to become completely clear. No worries, you'll still have beer and enjoy it.

I'm ferementing im my closet that stays around 66 degrees, is that proper temp?

depends on what yeast your using & style you're aiming for. i made a half dozen batches before i went the temp controller route and every one was drinkable. i keep my chamber at 62-64 for ales...

That should be a good temp in the closet. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. As long as you had a good boil and sanitized everything you should be fine.. I always freak out over something I've done during the brewing process and things still tend to work out fine..

i wouldn't worry about the scissors. everything you cut open went into the boil.

The temperature was 70 degrees. It's got a pretty solid bubble going.

image-2088572060.jpg

looks AWESOME

you done good

remember; yeast have cleanup duties after fermenting, so 2-3 weeks then bottle/keg

Thanks I hope so. Also the og was 1.055. I'm hooked, I want to brew again right now. Thanks for everyone's help/ support.

As soon as we can get rid of the blow off tube, since we only have one. We'll get another one going. I'm thinking Ipa or hoppy amber?

Back