First batch! Janus ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarrHill

Reaction score
IMG_20131231_133334267_HDR.jpg

Brew day was 1/1/14. First ever batch (except for a couple of Mr Beers several years ago), and first ever BIAB. Had a friend over who helped me through the BIAB process.

Overshot mash temp - got up to 160 - which I think affected attenuation and mouthfeel in the end. Eventually got the temp down to about 155 for 60 minutes.

Boiled for 60 minutes with EK Goldings. Fermented with US05. Fermentation temp control was definitely a little off as well. Ranged from low 60s to low 70s. Kept it in the bucket for ten days, then "cold crashed" for about five days in my 45 degree garage.

Then dry hopped directly into the primary bucket with Fuggles for one week.

Bottled two weeks ago - ended up with about two cases worth. Definitely going to work on trub management in the future, and will use hop socks for boil and dry hopping.

Tried one last week and it definitely wasn't ready. Great big fizzy bubbles, no head retention. Tried two last night, and I think it's ready for drinking! Nice head and lacing, good color. Although clarity could be better (forgot to buy Irish Moss on brew day), I was pretty pleased with it overall.

Nothing quite as fun as drinking your own beer!

IMG_20140207_164455929_HDR.jpg

Back