First batch in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyD

Reaction score
Thanks to all the great knowledge here, I felt very comfortable making it through my first brew day. Everything went smoothly for the most part.

A couple of minor hitches:
1. While cooling the wort, I used a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature drop and it hung up around 130 degrees. I was starting to get frustrated that it was taking so long when I figured I should check with another thermometer. Sure enough, it was actually down to almost 70 degrees. (Stuck the digital probe right in the ice bath to see what would happen - went down to 120, stupid thing isn't working)

2. Expected OG for the recipe was 1.041, and I ended at 1.049. Mixed the wort really well, checked it twice. Realized later the recipe called for 5.25 gallons - not 5 gallons, so maybe that's part of the issue.

Anway, I now have an AHS Sessions American Amber Ale in primary. Currently sitting at 65 degrees, just waiting for the yeast to get to work. :mug:

Thanks, I'm hoping it turns out good!

I tasted it when I checked my OG before pitching the yeast, and it was actually pretty good - like sweet flat ale. :D

ahhh i remember the taste of my first batch of wort, youll never look at commercial beer that same again.

As soon as you bottle it, start your next batch! Too many people wait till it is all gone, then rush it to get more beer in their hands. most of us try to always have beer on hand, so we can practice patience with each batch.

i let my beer tell me when to brew, the day that i decide to bottle my beer, i also brew my new batch.

i sanitize everything at once, and since i do a partial mash, i have an hour of conversion and an hour of boil to bottle my beer.

it works out great, once my beer is ready to drink, i am about ready to bottle my previous brew

Well this has been sitting in primary for about 10 days now, and I'll be checking my first SG in the morning just to see where we are. Everything seems to have been good so far, no major temp spikes/drops or other issues.

I plan to bottle in another week or so, and I've got everything ready to start my next batch once this one is bottled. Can't wait!

I'll also be starting my apfelwein tomorrow.

I have a bucket for primary, plus a better-bottle. So the way I have it planned is:
1. Get the apfelwein going in the better-bottle tomorrow (2/1/10)
2. Bottle the ale that is currently in primary next week (2/7/10)
3. Brew my lager an put in primary (either 2/7/10 or 2/8/10)
4. Bottle the apfelwein. (~2/28 - 3/2)
5. Move the lager to the better-bottle for lagering (once the apfelwein is bottled).

Well, today is bottling day! Wish me luck (because my wife helping, lol), pics to follow!

Couldn't resist a little taste test. I put one of the bottles in the fridge yesterday and popped the top today (11 days in the bottle so far). It's very tasty, and actually carbed up quite well. Though it could still use some more time, I actually can't believe how good this turned out.

18639_570057323428_3706108_33290618_946008_n.jpg

Back