First batch in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just moved my first batch (True Brew Pale Ale) to secondary. The instructions on the kit say that fermentation should be done after 72 hours, and that it should be ready to bottle within a week. I noticed that the airlock stopped bubbling after 24 hours, but I waited another day just to be safe. So, after 72 hours, I moved to secondary, where I plan to let it sit for another 4 days before bottling.

From what I've been reading on here, everyone suggests much longer times in both primary and secondary than what the True Brew instructions said. Did I move too soon? Also, should I wait longer than 4 days in secondary?

For my next batch, I'm trying to decide between an ESB and a hefeweizen. Yay for new hobbies!

Did you take a hydrometer reading? Just because it stopped bubbling does not mean that it was done fermenting. Always use your hydrometer. Also, secondary is not for fermenting. Secondary is more for letting the beer clear out. Some people use it, some people dont. But since you got it in secondary, go ahead and let it sit for a few weeks. I promise you'll thank yourself. Some people use the 1-2-3 method. 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottle. Learn to trust your hydrometer though, bubbles, or no bubbles is not always a good indicator. Patience, and Sanitation are a brewers best friend.

Only time will tell if you transferred too soon, but it's probably going to be just fine. Next time leave the beer on the yeast for, at least, 5 days. This should ensure that fermentation is complete and the yeast has had a chance to clean up some off the off flavors and compounds it had created during fermentation.
As for bottling, take a hydrometer reading to check if the beer has reached terminal gravity. If you bottle too soon you could have glass grenades, so be careful. I would recommend conditioning the beer for a week or two before bottling.

my hydrometer is another problem in itself. i have no idea what i'm doing wrong...

i have a true brew hydrometer that came in a plastic cylinder. i fill the cylinder with beer, put the hydrometer in it, and it floats so high that the entire scale is above the top of the liquid, leaving me with no reading. any thoughts?

Sounds like a bad hydrometer. Never heard of that. Id definately order a new one. Or you can fill the tube up with water and put it in. Water should have a reading of 1.000.

Back