First batch in primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noldar

Reaction score
An initial THANK YOU for all the information I've absorbed over the past 3 weeks. Now the questions ...

Is there way to make sure / test to see if you have an airtight Primary (using a 6 gal. glass carboy with stopper and bubbler). I have the plug almost all the way in with the bubbler pushed as far as it will go into the stopper.

Second ... I have an extra pale fermenter and was thinking of brewing another batch in a week (after I move my primary to a secondary 5gal glass carboy) and was wondering if a 6gal glass carboy could be used as a Secondary?

Lastly, sitting on 24 hours with no activity in the primary ... going until 48 then repitch ... is there anything specific I should be doing if I have to repitch.

I've learned *A LOT* from actually brewing my first batch and can't wait to fix them during with my second batch.

Noldar said:
An initial THANK YOU for all the information I've absorbed over the past 3 weeks. Now the questions ...

Is there way to make sure / test to see if you have an airtight Primary (using a 6 gal. glass carboy with stopper and bubbler). I have the plug almost all the way in with the bubbler pushed as far as it will go into the stopper.

Second ... I have an extra pale fermenter and was thinking of brewing another batch in a week (after I move my primary to a secondary 5gal glass carboy) and was wondering if a 6gal glass carboy could be used as a Secondary?

Lastly, sitting on 24 hours with no activity in the primary ... going until 48 then repitch ... is there anything specific I should be doing if I have to repitch.

I've learned *A LOT* from actually brewing my first batch and can't wait to fix them during with my second batch.

First of all...Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew.

The stopper has it sealed. Way to check? Not really until it begins primary. It's sealed though...trust me.

Do not repitch until 72 hours unless you think there was something wrong with the yeast to begin with. I have had White Labs take a full 4 days without a starter and the beer was great.

Next, Relax, don't worry...:mug:

You can do secondary in a 6 gal carboy, but it's better not to.

In primary, the fermenting wort is pumping out so much CO2 that there's not way for air to come into contact with it and oxidize it.

But in secondary, the fermentation is essentially over, and you want as little airspace as possible in the container.

I think one of the first "extras" a brewer dsicovers he wants/needs is a second 5 gal carboy for a secondary. That gives you the ability to be more patient with your bactches, since you don't need to wait for one to be boottled in order to rack the next batch.

Now if you used plastic fermenters, you could just give the pail a slight squeeze to check the seal. With glass there's nothing you can do except chew your toe nails and wait for the bubbles.

Actually, as the yeast multiplies, the wort gets murky, then flaky, then lumpy, ... :D

Back