First batch fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLodger

Reaction score
Howdy folks, just started my home brewing journey, got a True Brew Brown Ale kit with the Brew Starter kit. I boiled it for 30ish minutes as per the instructions, however since I only have a 2 gallon pot, the brew store guy suggested that I add the hops, dry malt and Maltodextrin with half of the syrup first, then add the rest of the syrup after the foaming subsides.

I am hoping some more experienced guys can put my mind at ease by answering a few of my questions:

1: This hydrometer thing worries me. I am not sure if I'm not using the hydrometer right, or if I did the wort wrong. Before I put the yeast in, I ladled some of the stuff in a glass, and I put the hydrometer in the glass. Hit the bottom. Wasn't sure what I was supposed to be reading, but I looked it up and it seems like before the yeast is added, the hydrometer ought to be floating. I tried using a different glass, same result. Help?

2: Any tips anyone can give me on sanitation would be very appreciated. What works for you guys? A friend who has been brewing for a few years instilled the fear of god to me about sanitation, so I feel like I was being as careful as I could be, but outside of wearing a hair net and face mask, I think I can be more efficient about it. Any tips?

Thanks folks, I really appreciate any and all help I can get. I am prepared for disappointment with my first few batches so I'm not going to be heartbroken if I screwed the whole thing up.

1. Use a taller glass? You should use the tube the hydrometer came in. Fill it up all the way, when you put the hydrometer in, a little bit of wort will spill over the top. There is no way the hydrometer will sink to the bottom unless it has a hole in it.

2. Sanitation isn't that big a deal. Keep your work space clean. Your brew kit should have at least come with sanitation instructions. If not, try this: fill your fermentation vessel with water and a capful (not a cupful, a capful: about an ounce in 5 gallons, maximum) of bleach. Let sit 30 minutes. I like to put all my other ancillary equipment (siphon hoses, strainers, etc.) in that mixture as well. Drain it. No need to rinse.

Relax, don't worry, have a microbrew (I'd say a homebrew, but since this is your first batch, you don't have any). I'm sure it turned out just fine, and enjoy your new hobby.

1. You need to get a test tube like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/economy-test-jar.html . I assume by "glass" you mean you mean your normal drinking glasses? Those are not tall enough.

2.Don't freak out about sanitation, just do your best... you only need to worry if you ever do actually infect one of your beers. Chances are you will not if you just TRY to sanitize everything. I'm sure you did a good job, so just keep it up!

1. If your hydrometer is sinking to the bottom, either a.) you don't have a tall enough glass, or b.) there is not enough wort in the glass. I have had the hydrometer sink to the bottom on a tall hydrometer jar when i did not have enough wort in it.

2. Freak out about sanitation. Get some rinseless sanitation and fill a spray bottle.Spray everything. Soak everything that will come into contact with wort after the boil. I haven't experienced an infection yet, but after 5 hours of work I don't want to give way to a contamination because I was lazy.

I am sure your brew will come out great. Beer is like us northern folks. Very hardy.

I'm glad to hear that it's probably my receptacle for the hydrometer that caused the problem. I'll try it again after a few days. I won't be able to record the OG, but oh well, next time. Just trying to get my hands dirty and wrap my mind around the process.

Thanks!

Back