First batch done, moving on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drac0nic

Reaction score
Well, bottled up my first batch of wine today, it was put into roughly 20 bottles. It was made using Red Star Montrachet yeast w/nutrient, some nutrient pectic enzyme, it started at roughly 1.095 and finished at about .990. Preliminarily I'm thinking it's going to be a good turn out.

It being october, and the fruit trees in the area being pretty much wiped out by an early frost, I have started thinking about something to get into the halloween/october spirit. This is what I'm thinking for my next batch. I havn't done much research looking for a recipe for this, but at the same time I figure it'd be something neat to try and maybe concoct my own brew.

-pumpkin, unsure of fresh or canned. Heard there isn't much difference between the two, I'd imagine the skin would add flavoring and coloring so it'd be good to keep.

-pectin/pectic enzyme from what Iv'e found out, pumpkin does contain pectin. Not sure how much I need to add, may be experimental(?)

-yeast This is a big one. I have two candidates I am thinking about right now, Cote des Blanc by Red Star and Lavlin K1V-1116. Leaning towards the Lavlin however due to its robustness.

-sugar thinking a mix of brown and white sugar, probably going with an OG of about 1.110; Am definitely looking for a "kick you in the face" wine strong alcohol content with a lot of body.

-spices this is where things get interesting, I'm wanting to add nutmeg cloves and cinnamon to this wine, the question becomes pre or post fermentation?

Back