First batch, doesn't taste very "beery"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
I made a batch of Hefeweizen from Northern Brewer. It is an LME. This is my first beer making ever. The OG was supposed to be about 1.049. It was actually around 1.060. Instructions with the kit said it should take around 2 weeks. It's been exactly 2 weeks. It stopped bubbling probably a week go. I just tested the gravity, it's right at 1.010. I sampled what I tested, of course. It doesn't have much flavor to it. It tastes almost watered down. Definitely not like the Hefe I've bought at a local liquor store. Did I wait too long? Should I wait longer to bottle it?

That's definitely not too long. What was the final gravity supposed to be? If you're there (or within a couple of points), I'd call it done and you can likely bottle or keg.

That watered down taste is likely just from the lack of being carbonated. A lot of the better tastes come once it gets carbonated (for me at least). I bet you'll enjoy the final result!

When using extract kits, if all the ingredients are used and you collect the proper volume you can be assured that the gravity is very close to what is predicted. Extracts with top up water are difficult to fully mix so in this case your try OG was probably the 1.049 as listed.

Tasting the beer before carbonation will only give you some idea of what the finished beer will be.

Bottle at 10-14 days. Put the bottles, upright, in a dark place that is close to 70 degrees for 3 weeks. Chill one for 24-48 hours and try it. If it is fully carbonated, chill more and enjoy. If it is not fully carbonated, wait another week then try one more. Repeat until they are good.

That's definitely not too long. What was the final gravity supposed to be? If you're there (or within a couple of points), I'd call it done and you can likely bottle or keg.

That watered down taste is likely just from the lack of being carbonated. A lot of the better tastes come once it gets carbonated (for me at least). I bet you'll enjoy the final result!

I don't know. It doesn't say. All the recipe says is to wait until the gravity has stabilized.

When using extract kits, if all the ingredients are used and you collect the proper volume you can be assured that the gravity is very close to what is predicted. Extracts with top up water are difficult to fully mix so in this case your try OG was probably the 1.049 as listed.

Tasting the beer before carbonation will only give you some idea of what the finished beer will be.

Bottle at 10-14 days. Put the bottles, upright, in a dark place that is close to 70 degrees for 3 weeks. Chill one for 24-48 hours and try it. If it is fully carbonated, chill more and enjoy. If it is not fully carbonated, wait another week then try one more. Repeat until they are good.

I followed the recipe to a T. The only thing I did different from the recipe was I only topped it with water to within about my pinkie fingers width of the 5 gallon mark. I didn't think it was worth it, or would make a difference, to open another bottle of spring water for that small amount of water.

I followed the recipe to a T. The only thing I did different from the recipe was I only topped it with water to within about my pinkie fingers width of the 5 gallon mark. I didn't think it was worth it, or would make a difference, to open another bottle of spring water for that small amount of water.

That close would only make a difference of a point or so, so I would expect your true OG was 1.047 or 1.048. Provided your 5 gallon mark is accurate.

That close would only make a difference of a point or so, so I would expect your true OG was 1.047 or 1.048. Provided your 5 gallon mark is accurate.

What I did was fill an empty 1 gallon water bottle full 5 times. Pouring each one into the carboy, then mark the level where the water was. It should be pretty close to 5 gallons.

What I did was fill an empty 1 gallon water bottle full 5 times. Pouring each one into the carboy, then mark the level where the water was. It should be pretty close to 5 gallons.

Actually I went the wrong way. Too many Robust English Porters. If you were below the 5 gallon mark your gravity would be higher, but only a point or two.
So your alcohol level will be higher by a couple of tenths. You should not be able to tell the difference.

In another 3 weeks you should have a good beer to enjoy.

I sampled what I tested, of course. It doesn't have much flavor to it. It tastes almost watered down. Definitely not like the Hefe I've bought at a local liquor store.

Carbonation changes the flavor, brings aromas out, etc. I think you will be pleasantly surprised in a few weeks.

I have thought about it. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm used to drinking mass produced beer...Budweiser, Coors, etc. Maybe I was expecting it to taste more like those than it actually should.

Start buying some craft beers. Awaken those taste buds to new flavours. You won't be long giving up your Bud and Coors once you get a taste for it. Also, you'll get a better idea of where your beer should be at rather than comparing it to the above.

Did the kit use a lot of sugar in the recipe? That and low dextrins to start with can also make for a thin mouthfeel. But I also agree that uncarbonated, flat beer doesn't taste as "full" as a carbonated one. Wheat ales will generally be lighter than barley beers anyway.

Did the kit use a lot of sugar in the recipe? That and low dextrins to start with can also make for a thin mouthfeel. But I also agree that uncarbonated, flat beer doesn't taste as "full" as a carbonated one. What ales will generally be lighter than barley beers anyway.

It was an LME kit I bought from Northern Brewers. Only sugar with it was for carbonating.

The times I have brewed NBs Bavarian Hefe I used WY 3068. I would over pitch the yeast and hold the fermentation at 63° to 64°. This would bring out the clove flavor while reducing the banana. My final gravity would be 1.010 to 1.011.

Final gravity is affected by a number of factors. Your FG could drop another point yet. Give your beer more time in the primary, skip the secondary. A wheat beer doesn't need a secondary vessel for clearing. The beer should be slightly hazy.

It isn't a beer that should taste of alcohol. It is just a very pleasant beer to have a few of in one sitting.

Latest posts

Back