First Batch Complete!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robhodge3

Reaction score
Well, I just opened up the second bottle out of my first batch of homebrew, and I have to say it was overall a success! My only complaint is a somewhat bitter aftertaste. I brewed a cream ale and I dumped the hops right in the wort when boiling as opposed to boiling them in a sack. Do you think that if I were to use a hop sack to boil the hops this could take a bit of the sharp bitter aftertaste out of the beer? Thanks for everyone's help on here...you all really got me through my worries about fermintation.

-Rob

robhodge3 said:
Well, I just opened up the second bottle out of my first batch of homebrew, and I have to say it was overall a success! My only complaint is a somewhat bitter aftertaste. I brewed a cream ale and I dumped the hops right in the wort when boiling as opposed to boiling them in a sack. Do you think that if I were to use a hop sack to boil the hops this could take a bit of the sharp bitter aftertaste out of the beer? Thanks for everyone's help on here...you all really got me through my worries about fermintation.

-Rob

The bag won't make a huge difference, but some. I think I read somewhere once that there is a 15% difference in hops utilizxation using a bag.
the key to reducing the bitter taste you are talking about is to reduce the bittering hops in the recipe. Instead of boiling it for 60 minutes, try 45 or something like that. I think you'll find that hops and that bitter flavor will grow on you after a while. It has with me, that's for sure.

If the bitterness is really putting you off on this, your first batch, you also may try letting it age a bit longer. Aging will often mellow such harsh bitterness.

Latest posts

Back