First Batch Bottled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
I brewed 5 gallons of American Pale Ale (extract kit from Listermann's) on Oct. 22. I bottled tonight. My SG was 1.017, if I did the math right for the temperature conversion. My brother (beer4breakfast) gave me TONS of good tips to make the process go smoothly. Of course, I still ended up spilling several ounces on the kitchen floor and on myself trying to get that last little bit through the tube. But that's ok. I got 49 12-oz. bottles and had a few oz. left...so I drank it! Of course, with no carbonation, it wasn't wonderful, but the flavor was right. I think this will be good beer in a few weeks! My birthday is on Thanksgiving, and it'll be 18 days in the bottle. I'll test one then. But I'm waiting until December to really start drinking it.

LouisianaVince said:
I think this will be good beer in a few weeks! My birthday is on Thanksgiving, and it'll be 18 days in the bottle. I'll test one then.

Talk about a nice little birthday gift to yourself, a cool, delicious homebrew.

Thats awsome that it came out so well, nice job.

Good for you. I just bottled my first batch last Friday and I am planning on opening up the first bottle when I get up to NJ for Thanksgiving vacation.

Good Luck with it.

Beerhead said:
Talk about a nice little birthday gift to yourself, a cool, delicious homebrew.

Thats awsome that it came out so well, nice job.

Thanks, Beerhead! I'm looking forward to that first taste, and since my b-day is gonna be overshadowed with work that morning then the huge family dinner at my wife's uncle's house, I think it's likely to be the highlight of the day!

Floridaboiler said:
Good for you. I just bottled my first batch last Friday and I am planning on opening up the first bottle when I get up to NJ for Thanksgiving vacation.

Good Luck with it.

Thanks, Floridaboiler! Congrats on your first batch, too. Thanksgiving in New Jersey is bound to be a lot colder than it will be here in Baton Rouge. I'm sure you'll enjoy that first taste!

11 days in the bottle, and so far, I've been a good boy and left it alone. I'm thinking I'll be able to make it to day 18 and try it on my b-day (Thanksgiving Day!).
I think I can, I think I can...

Hello! I'm the evil red demon perched on your right shoulder. No, make it your left shoulder, the shoulder sinister!

I say, pop a top! Yeah, that's the ticket. You know you want it. Go ahead and do it! Don't let good sense hold you back. What could it hurt? Everyone does it....

Ha! We all cheat a little bit, you know...

I had a pint of my first brew as I was bottling it. Warm. Uncarbonated. And I liked it. Drink some! Just be sure to save enough for a month or two down the road when it's probably "done."

beer4breakfast said:
Hello! I'm the evil red demon perched on your right shoulder. No, make it your left shoulder, the shoulder sinister!

I say, pop a top! Yeah, that's the ticket. You know you want it. Go ahead and do it! Don't let good sense hold you back. What could it hurt? Everyone does it....

Ha! We all cheat a little bit, you know...

Mom and Dad always said you were the evil one! No, I will resist (at least for tonight).

Yuri_Rage said:
I had a pint of my first brew as I was bottling it. Warm. Uncarbonated. And I liked it. Drink some! Just be sure to save enough for a month or two down the road when it's probably "done."

Obviously, you're as evil as my brother beer4breakfast! Actually, I had enough for about 10 oz left over when I bottled. Rather than save it and add it to another batch, I put it in a pilsner glass and drank it, warm and uncarbonated. It was delicious!

Latest posts

Back