First batch; Block Party Amber.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karn

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the taste. Looks good though. Only about 1/4 inch of dregs. Really like Short's Bellaire Brown. Would appreciate recipes that resemble the Brown. 1.05 OG, 1.012 FG.
20210216_171702.jpg

Definitely looks good! What's missing taste-wise? Not much info out there about Bellaire, other than 7% ABV vs the 5% on this recipe, which is a significant difference.

NB used to offer a Surly Bender clone recipe, which was very good. Tracked down the partial mash recipe and it looks like the biggest differences were the addition of oats and aromatic malt and more special b.

Looks great to me! I know when I read the recipe for Blockbuster Amber, it's made to be a crown pleaser and nothing too hoppy or bitter. If that's how it turned out, consider that you hit the mark. Any off flavors? If not, great job on your first brew!

Definitely looks good! What's missing taste-wise? Not much info out there about Bellaire, other than 7% ABV vs the 5% on this recipe, which is a significant difference.

NB used to offer a Surly Bender clone recipe, which was very good. Tracked down the partial mash recipe and it looks like the biggest differences were the addition of oats and aromatic malt and more special b.
I'm a beginner and have a poor vocabulary for describing taste. That's why I said I like Short's BB. This Block Party Ale has flavor(s) - I'm just not crazy about it. Could be a 'wheat' flavor maybe, I don't care for IPA's usually.

Looks great to me! I know when I read the recipe for Blockbuster Amber, it's made to be a crown pleaser and nothing too hoppy or bitter. If that's how it turned out, consider that you hit the mark. Any off flavors? If not, great job on your first brew!
I don't believe there are any off flavors. Being a beginner with a poor vocabulary for describing flavors, I don't even know if this is hoppy or bitter.

Really like Short's Bellaire Brown. Would appreciate recipes that resemble the Brown.

Even though I know nothing about Bellaire Brown, I love to share my recipes. I developed "Rosemary Brown Brown" so I could brew it just after brewing "Porter Johnson Porter." Rosemary Brown and Porter Johnson were my maternal grandmother's parents. Most recently, 2019 & 2020, I brewed it as "Brown Brown" and "Brown Out Brown," because a grandson was entering Brown University and then it went virtual second semester.

6 lbs. amber DME (I prefer Munton's)
1/4 lb. 60L crystal malt
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. carabrown malt
bittering hops, 60 min. boil, Fuggles, 10 HBU (2 1/4 oz, at 4.5 alpha acids, for instance)
flavor hops, 30 min., 1/2 oz. Fuggles
aroma hops, 2 min., 1/2 oz. Cascades
S-33 or Munton's ale yeast

The main difference from what you brewed is in the grains. Read about the grain tastes/flavors. You may or may not decide it may be more to your liking.

I’ve made that one years ago, I don’t remember how it tasted just that it wasn’t bad. How long has it been in a bottle? If it’s only been a few weeks maybe let it sit a bit longer, usually the flavor will change a bit over time.

Even though I know nothing about Bellaire Brown, I love to share my recipes. I developed "Rosemary Brown Brown" so I could brew it just after brewing "Porter Johnson Porter." Rosemary Brown and Porter Johnson were my maternal grandmother's parents. Most recently, 2019 & 2020, I brewed it as "Brown Brown" and "Brown Out Brown," because a grandson was entering Brown University and then it went virtual second semester.

6 lbs. amber DME (I prefer Munton's)
1/4 lb. 60L crystal malt
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. carabrown malt
bittering hops, 60 min. boil, Fuggles, 10 HBU (2 1/4 oz, at 4.5 alpha acids, for instance)
flavor hops, 30 min., 1/2 oz. Fuggles
aroma hops, 2 min., 1/2 oz. Cascades
S-33 or Munton's ale yeast

The main difference from what you brewed is in the grains. Read about the grain tastes/flavors. You may or may not decide it may be more to your liking.
Cool titles, I do that for my wines. Will copy this recipe also, thank you.

I’ve made that one years ago, I don’t remember how it tasted just that it wasn’t bad. How long has it been in a bottle? If it’s only been a few weeks maybe let it sit a bit longer, usually the flavor will change a bit over time.
It was 'brand' (after the two week CO2 development) new. Hard to wait to taste. I've been trying a new bottle every couple of days. Either, they are getting better or I'm getting used to it. Thank you for the advice.

It was 'brand' (after the two week CO2 development) new. Hard to wait to taste. I've been trying a new bottle every couple of days. Either, they are getting better or I'm getting used to it. Thank you for the advice.

Patience is hard in the beginning, now that you made that one get on to the next one or go buy another bucket and make 2, once you have a pipeline going it’ll be much easier to wait a few extra weeks to taste it.

Back