First Batch BIAB questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbath

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I just did my first batch of BIAB and something about it just did not seem right or perhaps im a tad bit paranoid...lol

Grains:
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 12.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

Hops:
0.5 oz Hallertauer [4.8%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertauer [4.8%] - Boil 15 min
0.25 oz Saaz [4.0%] - Boil 5 min

For some reason i think that the grain bill was too much for a 2 gal (which ended up as 1.5gal) batch

When i got the water up to a boil of 160 degrees, i added the grains which dropped to about 150 degrees rather quickly. In about 45 mins i realised the temp dropped to 140 degrees although i did insulate it with a towel - is that something to be concerned about.

Now after 90 mins of steeping, i proceeded to boil after taking out the grain bag. This is where i was wondering if there is any fixed temp which i need to boil it.

Sorry if these are n00b questions..

RDWHAHB!!!
It's all good and your boil temp is not something to worry about. It is going to be 212°F at sea level and will be lower the higher in elevation you are...Water boils around 196 where I live! Just get to a rolling boil

Ahh... im kinda relieved that i did not screw things up..

I kept increasing and reducing the flame if too high a temp might mess things up..

an easy grain to gallon estimate for 1040 to 1050 beers .. 2 pounds plus per gallon

you can make 5G with 10# .. 2.5G with 5#

in reality, you will likely use more like 2.25 to 2.5 pounds per gallon, but it is a quick check to see if you are in the ballpark

Thanks for the good guideline...

The recipe which i based it off should attain a 6.5% abv and based on the boil off volume... i should get an abv of 10.25% damn.... this would be lovely for my first batch of BIAB..lol

The recipe which i based it off should attain a 6.5% abv and based on the boil off volume... i should get an abv of 10.25% damn....

What exactly are you basing the 10.25% on? If you overshot the OG by that much I'd be very surprised. Realize the beer will not ferment to SG of 1.000.

What exactly are you basing the 10.25% on? If you overshot the OG by that much I'd be very surprised. Realize the beer will not ferment to SG of 1.000.

I've got that based on the calculator from brewersfriend

you had a bit much boil off, would likely been good to add a bit of water at the end to get back to full volume, next time, start with half a gallon more :D

always worth checking how high your boil off is, it might be more than brewersfriend standard, especially if you have a wider kettle.

if you aren't applying heat during the mash stage, just put the kettle inside an old sleeping bag or duvet, it works better than a towel.(i lose about 3 degrees during 1 hour mashes with 5 gallons in an old duvet)

you had a bit much boil off, would likely been good to add a bit of water at the end to get back to full volume, next time, start with half a gallon more :D

always worth checking how high your boil off is, it might be more than brewersfriend standard, especially if you have a wider kettle.

if you aren't applying heat during the mash stage, just put the kettle inside an old sleeping bag or duvet, it works better than a towel.(i lose about 3 degrees during 1 hour mashes with 5 gallons in an old duvet)

Yeah i reckon my kettle is a tad bit too wide.. which is why the excessive boil off... time to invest in a decent stock pot ;)
Gosh... i just checked my gravity using a digital hydrometer and its 1.1.. initially i was thinking why was it so low... thinking that it was 1.010.. as i measured it and it was 1.090..lol

About 1.5 days after adding the yeast.. the ABV has gone up to 5.25% and still going up...yeahh

Back