First Batch. Apfelwein. Intense headache instantly.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggleplum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got done bottling my first batch of anything, 5 gallons of Ed Worts Apfelwein. I siphoned it with a cane into a 5 gallon bucket, and took a reading while I was at it; 1.000 (7%). I went ahead and bottled, when I was done I drank what was in my graduated cylinder and a bit more out of a bottle, and almost instantly had an intense headache that I still have 40 minutes later (not as bad). I followed the recipe. What could be the cause? I live in the mountains, so the temp absolutely did not get over 75 at any point. Most likely stayed between 65-70 give or take. I bottled a bit short of the 4 week mark. Is it just too young? Will it get better the longer I let it age in the bottles?

Thanks

Only having made it a few times, never getting the headache while drinking it. (Next day, yes. Oh yes indeed.) I can only answer your last question. The answer is most certainly. It will get much better. Just remember to decant. There will be some yeast at the bottom from carbing and other settlement.

Back