First batch and I have no air bubbles in the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewk

Reaction score
I brewed this beer yesterday and it hasnt changed a bit. Im getting worried I did something wrong. I brewed this beer from a kit. I didnt get an OG reading to being with. Should I wait for bubbles?

I brewed some beer from a kit and im not getting any bubbles in the airlock whatsoever. Im hoping I didnt do anything wrong. The only way to get the yeast mixed in was to shake the crap out of the carboy. Could I have damaged the beer? Am I being impatient. Should I wait to check the gravity?

Hold out for a few days. Is your temp too low? You did add the yeast right? Had to ask because on my 2nd batch I woke upo in the middle of the night + realized I had not-quickly added it and all went fine-just took a few days longer. I have to move my current items indoors + out due to temp flucuations. It slows outside + speeds up inside.

You have a krausen already forming, that's all that matters. Airlock bubbling means only that the airlock is bubbling. It's fementing fine, it's just not bubbling, which ISN'T the same thing.

Read this, and walk away from your beer, let the yeast do what they know best.

And stop equating airlock bubbling with fermentation.

This. ^ It's fine.

And you're probably going to want to put a blowoff on that fermenter ASAP. Once it really gets going, the krausen is going to fill that headspace.

The beer looks fine. From the picture, the airlock might not have enough sanitizer in it. Add some more, push that carboy bung in a bit more solid, and it will start bubbling away.

I agree with Revvy, and also with Arcane. If it doesn't start bubbling in a couple days, make sure the wiggly piece is free to move. My last batch (and I've got a few under my belt) I put too much water in the airlock. The wiggler couldn't go up high enough, so it didn't bubble. So, don't worry about it fermenting- it is- but do check the mechanical stuff in a couple days....and think about a blowoff tube.

So, what'd you brew? Kyle

Agree with tabove comments...blow-off first and make sure you have more sanitizer in your airlock

I was worried about this same thing on my first batch. Except I was making use of an obsolete novelty system so I couldnt even see if there was krausen or not... AND I had no hydrometer.. Turns out, everything was fine and I want to order a kit for my next batch as soon as the misses will let me... Oh and listen to Revvy. He knows whats up.

Also, that looks like the type of stopper I have and when sanitized (meaning wet), it will not stay pushed down into the neck which would allow CO2 to leak out around the seal. This means you will never see a burp from the airlock but that doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening. FWIW, bucket tops will also leak.

And, as long as you aren't Ray Charles, you should have no trouble watching the action unfold through the glass regardless of what the airlock is doing.

And, depending on the size of your fermentation "area", you might be able to just walk by the carboy/ bucket and "smell" the fermentation aroma permeating the room and knowing everything is ok.

Thanks guys! The bung was not pushed in compleltey. Of course I got all freaked out, bought a turkey baster and sanitized, and did a hydrometer reading but it just sunk to the bottom of the glass? I got a little frustrated pushed the bung back into the carboy and voila !Bubbles! I have the new brewer fear that im trying to overcome. I purchased an Imperial Pale Ale. Its supposed to be an Arrogant Bastard clone. I have quite a bit of krausen in the bottle. I bought some 1/2 inch tubing that im going to connect to the airlock and put the other end in a jug. The krausen started increasing immediately when I stuffed that bung in there. I have the carboy in a closet and it reeks of hops or fermentation smell.

The beer looks fine. From the picture, the airlock might not have enough sanitizer in it. Add some more, push that carboy bung in a bit more solid, and it will start bubbling away.

I just filled the airlock up to the fill line.

I just added water in the airlock...didnt know i needed a water/santizer mixture in it.
Sanitizer or vodka is a good idea in case there is suck back. It is always better safe than sorry but at the same time relax and don't stress... one way or the other you'll end up with beer, lol.

I just used water but I was not aware of the possibility of a suck back. Next batch im going to get a pint of cheap vodka.

I just used water but I was not aware of the possibility of a suck back. Next batch im going to get a pint of cheap vodka.

Did you use dirty water? Take it out of the pets watering dish?

If you used the water you would drink there is little chance of infection.

The krausen on the beer didnt blow out the top of the carboy. It basically grew about 2 inches and that was it. There is a nice thick layer of krausen on top of the beer. Should I have expected it to flow through the top of the carboy? I did hook up the blow off but it seemed to be uneccessary.

The krausen on the beer didnt blow out the top of the carboy. It basically grew about 2 inches and that was it. There is a nice thick layer of krausen on top of the beer. Should I have expected it to flow through the top of the carboy? I did hook up the blow off but it seemed to be uneccessary.

The amount of krausen will vary depending on the recipe, the temperature you fermented, the variety of the yeast, the color of the moon, the day of the week, the mood of your wife or girlfriend, etc. In other words there really isn't any way to predict which will require a blow off tube so you'll get advice to always use one. Your beer looks like it is doing just fine.

Just another quick question/update on my first batch. I brewed the beer on Sunday evening and the bubbling action in the airlock has pretty much stopped. It almost appears the krausen is slightly breaking apart. Is this normal. Sorry for the stupid question.

Just another quick question/update on my first batch. I brewed the beer on Sunday evening and the bubbling action in the airlock has pretty much stopped. It almost appears the krausen is slightly breaking apart. Is this normal. Sorry for the stupid question.

It's doing as it should. What you are seeing is the krausen "falling". The hot fermentation process is over and the solids (yeast and trub) that were in suspension will settle to the bottom and some of the "foam" hardens to the sides of the fermenter. The beer will continue to clear and after 3-4 weeks be ready to bottle.

It's doing as it should. What you are seeing is the krausen "falling". The hot fermentation process is over and the solids (yeast and trub) that were in suspension will settle to the bottom and some of the "foam" hardens to the sides of the fermenter. The beer will continue to clear and after 3-4 weeks be ready to bottle.

Thanks! Very excited and impatient.

Thanks! Very excited and impatient.

yeah, that's the thing about this hobby. In a world of instant gratification (I am certainly guilty!) we have a hard time waiting - but your beer will reward you if you're patient.

Buy some commercial varieties you like, plan your next brewday, and leave it be for a few weeks...

yeah, that's the thing about this hobby. In a world of instant gratification (I am certainly guilty!) we have a hard time waiting - but your beer will reward you if you're patient.

Buy some commercial varieties you like, plan your next brewday, and leave it be for a few weeks...

Next brewday??? Hasn't he/she already got two more in the fermenter? I would! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back