First batch and hello!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sveinn

Reaction score
I have wanted to homebrew for years now, and I finally just went and bought the plastic bmb deluxe kit from NB. Now that I have it, I wish I would've just ordered individual parts, but hey, it's a start.

I threw together a batch of caribou slobber from them and learned much along the way, like the kettle I got doesn't work well on an induction stove.

Anyway OG was 1.052 (got a hydrometer) at around 64 degrees, and I left it to ferment for a week. It was intense for 2 days then nothing. Not wanting to make the rookie mistake of opening to check, I just waited till today and got ready to transfer to secondary. I took a gravity reading and it now is 1.015 at 64*. The recipe calls for 1-2 weeks in primary and 2-4 in secondary.

Right after transfer I cleaned the primary and through together a batch of graham's English cider. I'm really hooked on brewing now, and can't wait to brew again!

welcome to home brewing. As far as the fermentation cycle, I usually do 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary. alot of people don't do a secondary on this site, but i do. I think it makes a clearer beer. So, i have 2 buckets of beer, and a glass carboy of a btch in a secondary. Plus 2 batches bottled.

I had read that about secondary on the site, but I really wanted to just follow the directions on my first batch. I accidentally shook up my tub and yeast while moving from the fermentation room to the kitchen sink where I was sanitizing, so I'm glad I'll be letting it sit awhile longer as I'm sure I sucked up some stuff while siphoning.

Welcome! This is a fun hobby, and there is always something new to learn. This site is a great resource, and the people here are very helpful.

Glad your first batch went smoothly, my first northern brewer batch was a bit of a disaster.

Sidebar: I have become a believer in the no secondary method for ales that aren't getting fruit, cocoa, etc additions that would benefit from a secondary. A quick search will turn up lots of info on the subject.

You'll discover for yourself whether secondary is worth it or not. But, I would suggest for BOTTLING to move your fermenter that is currently holding the beer to the location you will be bottling at (counter top or whatever) at least a day ahead of time. The reason is when you pick up and move your bucket or whatever, you'll stir some yeast up and this way, you give the beer another 24 hours to resettle and give you the clearest beer you can. Congrats on your debut brew! It's a great hobby!

Back