First batch - AHS Summer Crisp - Sanity Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutigerusa

Reaction score
Newer brewer that just did my first batch solo (had some experienced tutoring at last place I lived), did the AHS Summer Crisp IPA. Took notes and my taste test and hydro readings at 14 days is that it is having slight butter taste with strong alcohol bite. Hydro readings say it is a 7.3% ABV. Looks to me that explains the alcohol strong taste, and diacetyl is the buttery taste (from reading on threads). So more time for yeast to clean up the diacetyl would be in order. I would assume the temp spike in start of ferment is the culprit? This batch should turnout ok I think, but needs the time for yeast cleanup right? My OG was also off contributing to the higher alcohol content? I had the fermenter in a room that was vacant for two weeks, but mother in law is back today so had to go to my soon to be normal spot with swamp cooler setup.

Notes from this batch below to use for any pointers:
4 Jan 2015 Brew:

Did 1000ml starter with 10grams light DME & White Labs liquid Calefornia Ale yeast.
http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast?s=homebrew

6 gallon boil with tap water.*

Recipe per sheet, but with only the 2lbs DME at initial call out. Remaining 5lbs DME added with flavoring hops, Whirlfloc, and brew-vent fuel at 45min mark. At flameout added body builder.

Chilled to 80*deg in 20 mins, 70*deg in 40 mins with frozen 5 gal water jug pre-chiller. (Note: Next time use frozen jug after gets to lower temp to speed it up)

Triple hydrometer readings ~
* * OG: 1.074 at 72*deg, adj gravity is 1.075 (1.058 tgt)

Pitched yeast at 72 deg temp (both starter and wort). No yeast cream noted from morning starter, next time start it sooner.

Room at 72*deg starting mid-day 4 Jan with blow-off tube.

5 Jan - room 72 ferm at 76, dropped room temp to 68 and added wet shirt
6 Jan - room 68 ferm 74
7 Jan - room 68 ferm 72
8-16 Jan - room 68 ferm 70
16 Jan - added dry hop and room to 72 ferm to*
17 Jan - moved to pantry room, wet towel and t-shirt in ice water cooler bath
* * * * * * * Gravity 1.018 at 72*deg, adj Gravity is 1.019 (1.014 tgt)
* * * * * * * Taste test was strong bitter, slight butter?, a little alcohol strong taste,*def needs to mello

Now that it has reached final gravity the temp shouldn't be much of an issue. In fact a nice room temp of 72-75 might help the yeast clean up the diacetyl. The higher than expected final gravity is pretty normal on extract beers. If it were me I would bottle it up and age it in the bottles to minimize waiting time. Give it 3 solid weeks in the bottle and taste it then. Age as you find appropriate beyond that. Most of my IPAs never see the three month mark.

You're doing a 5 gallon brew with 7 lbs DME?

If you got the weight of the DME correct and the volume of water correct you should be around your target gravity of 1.058. The reading is coming from an error in sampling.

Of course if you ended up with 4 gallons post boil you should be looking at ~1.074 from 7 lbs DME.

Now that it has reached final gravity the temp shouldn't be much of an issue. In fact a nice room temp of 72-75 might help the yeast clean up the diacetyl. The higher than expected final gravity is pretty normal on extract beers. If it were me I would bottle it up and age it in the bottles to minimize waiting time. Give it 3 solid weeks in the bottle and taste it then. Age as you find appropriate beyond that. Most of my IPAs never see the three month mark.

That's good to hear, room temp runs 75-77 usually in room I've been approved to use by my wonderful wife. I'll be using cold water/ice bath and wet towl to keep temp down on the fermenter - until I can get the materials for a son of a fermentation chamber to build one.

You're doing a 5 gallon brew with 7 lbs DME?

If you got the weight of the DME correct and the volume of water correct you should be around your target gravity of 1.058. The reading is coming from an error in sampling.

Of course if you ended up with 4 gallons post boil you should be looking at ~1.074 from 7 lbs DME.

I used a kit from AHS, per their recipe (attached) with 7lbs DME. I started with full 6 gal boil (with the late addition of most of the DME) and ended with a full 5 gal going in fermenter. I don't mind strong beers as I was lucky enough to live in Brussels for a couple years where my love for beer was truly born via all the types there. Just was surprised at the difference in expectations, plus the higher ABV will not help the wife's appreciation of the beer. I'll have to win her over on another batch.

View attachment AHS Summer Crisp IPA.pdf

Last edited:
What is this? like an abv booster? I'm wondering if that is contributing to the higher gravity

Same store, was add on:

Brewvint Body builder
"Don't settle for thin, flabby beer. Build up your beer! Body Builder will give your beer better body and head retention. This 5 oz package is added at the end of the boil "

Thought I'd give it a shot, but prob should have waited for a second batch of a similar beer so I'd have a comparison.

Back