First attempt at measuring FG...why did it change??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
It's been 8 days since I pitched my first batch of AHS Honey Blonde Ale. It started out with a gravity of 1.045 which was just .001 higher than my target.

Anyway, I opened my fermenter up today(7 gallon bucket) and I took a sample to check and see what my gravity was. The airlock had slowed down to a crawl after hitting at 10-15 bubbles per minute for a couple of days, so I figured I was close to my target.

Anyway, I use a thief to get out just enough to fit in my test cylinder and then I stick the hydrometer in. It takes a little bit to settle but it finally settles on 1.012. I even had a couple of extra eyes check it for me. I then dug around for my log book to see what my target FG was(1.005). Probably took me about 3 minutes. By that time, the hydrometer read 1.015.

Why the slow movement?? Should I use the 12 or the 15. Neither of which is suitable right now, but next week when I check again, should I let the hydrometer sit for 5 minutes before taking a reading?

Thanks.

Temperature affects the gravity reading, so it could've either warmed up or cooled down a bit while you were finding your log book.

Also, the hydrometer sometimes gets "stuck" to the side of the test cylinder and that can cause the reading to be a bit skewed.

more that likely 1.012 is correct...and as CO2 came outta solution the bubbles stuck to the hydro, raising it to 1.015.

always spin the hydro to dislodge bubbles, then read it.

there's no way it gained three points in gravity from temp just sitting around for a few minutes. co2 bubbles is much more likely. Unless you had it in a freezer and even then, there's no way.

Tiny bubbles, that simple. I like to pour a sample back & forth 8-10 times, then let it sit for five minutes.

there's no way it gained three points in gravity from temp just sitting around for a few minutes. co2 bubbles is much more likely. Unless you had it in a freezer and even then, there's no way.

It only takes like 18 degrees of difference, but yeah unless his hydrometer was that much cooler or warmer then it was probably the CO2 bubbles...

But what if he rinsed his hydrometer off in scolding hot water just prior to dropping it into the beer? I think I'm going to have to do some experimenting during my next gravity reading. ;)

Then it would have gone down 3 points, not up. I will fight you! :)

Back