First attempt at lagering - Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This brew day was awesome, and I hit all my numbers and stuff, but now when it has come to the lagering part, I have an issue. My mini fridge (fermentation chamber) will not get the temp below 45. I am seeing people say they lager at like 32-40, and the recipe called to be lagered at 40. So, am I pretty much screwed?lol or should it be fine?

Also, do you guys lager on the yeast cake or rack off? I tasted this thing after the D-rest and it was tasting delicious already before it even lagered. ;)

I don't secondary for ales, but for lagering use a secondary with as little head space as possible

also I don't think only getting down to 45 will "screw you" but I would probably increase the amount of time in the secondary

Rack to secondary before lagering. A temp controller on your fridge may help quite a bit later on down the road, if its a possibility.

You'll be fine at 45 degrees. Just let it lager a few extra weeks. I would also rack to secondary.

Ok thanks guys. I will be racking it off the yeast tonight then, and then back to lagering. I do have a temp controller, but it just doesn't seem to get down below 45 :/

Toss in a few frozen water bottles, it'll help bring the temp down.

I lager in my "beer cave" at 40, they come out super clean.

Back