First American Amber Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
This is my first time trying to create a recipe by picking ingredients, so I'll tell you my general ideas, and I'd appreciate any feedback :D

INGREDIENTS for 5 GALLONS:
6 lb Briess Sparkling Amber Dry Extract
1 lb Gambrinus Dark Munich
1/2 lb Rahr Standard 6-Rowalt
1 oz Magnum pellets
1 oz Williamette pellets
1 oz Amarillo pellets
SAFALE US-05 American Ale

Mash 1 lb Gambrinus Dark Munich and Rahr Standard 6-Row for 60mins at 150F. Remove grains, bring water to boil, add Briess Sparkling Amber Dry Extract, let boil 10mins. Add Magnum pellets for 30mins. At the 15min mark add Amarillo pellets for 15mins. At the 25min mark add Williamettes for 5mins. Strain wort, let cool to 65-70. Add SAFEALE US-05 American Ale yeast.

Predictions for the beers outcome will be:
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.016
IBU: 36
SRM 10
ABV: 6

Let me know what you guys think please :D

If you plan on steeping anyway, I think I'd reverse your fermentables and steep C60, munich and a touch of black malt (the specialty grains of Dark DME) and use light DME instead.

If you don't want to buy the malts dcp recommends, you could start with amber extract rather than dark. But I'd probably use more than just 2-row for the grains...that's not going to add a ton of character.

Also, you have to mash 2-row, not steep it. 150 degrees is a good mashing temp, though you might want to let it go for a bit more than 30 minutes to make sure it converts.

just wondering if you had a certain reason for doing a 30 minute boil as opposed to a 60?

I think I just mixed up the two. I've only used grains once before and I loved the otucome, and off the top of my head I thought it was 30 min, but I'll put it for an hour if that's the standard amount :D

Back